ArcMap: how to use more available bandwidth. Only 10% used

01-07-2015 11:00 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all

My ArcMap is running really slowly. I am running ArcGIS in local with a network license and all the layers and aerials on the network.

I would like to know if there is a way to increase the bandwidth that ArcMap uses or my computer uses. A network analysis shows that less than 9% is used, so 90% is available.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

With bandwidth do you mean network bandwidth? I believe Arcmap uses as much bandwidth as is available at the moment. If you are accessing the layers or aerials through the network, ArcMap will use as much bandwidth as it can to get the data to your machine. It will not need much bandwidth for displaying aerials or layers unless you are moving the actual files. Is it your processing that is slow? Is it displaying the map that is slow? Arcmap running slow is usually not because of the network bandwidth/speed.

0 Kudos
larryzhang

jose,

Your question is very hard to answer, without insight investigation on your Intranet and ArcGIS release that you are using …

Generally speaking, ArcGIS 10.0 or earlier have bad performance to deal with images hosted at NAS over Network. However, ArcGIS 10.1 or later is fine to connect NAS, which can be up to 80% of network usage within most lately-designed enterprise Intranet network.

In the enterprise environment, in fact, the LOW intranet usage is mostly associated with the Intranet architecture and network storage (NAS) that you are connected.

For some background, please refer to http://www.nngroup.com/articles/intranet-users-stuck-low-productivity/

And also, for NAS storage, please browse http://www.cnet.com/topics/storage/best-hard-drives-and-storage/network-attached-storage/

JoseSanchez

Good morning everyone,

Yes, by bandwidth I mean network bandwidth. We checked the usage and only 10% of the network bandwidth is used. So the question is to know if there is a way to increase for a specific application or a computer, the network bandwidth it uses.  This is what I have found on the Microsoft site Server Does Not Use All Bandwidth Available When Streaming Files with Bit Rates over 100 Kbps

To fix this issue this is what I did to improve the map's performance.  For aerial layers Instead of having their source location pointing the a GIS server -default configuration- I replaced the source location to point to a FGDB on the network. And the response time improved a lot.

Thank you for your answers.

larryzhang

Sounds good, jose

The clarification on the question makes sense now…

0 Kudos
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

seems to me then that your problem is with your set-up of the "GIS server -default configuration-" The link you attached is not also really the same case as your problem as that has something to do with streamed data (mostly reading) which is handled a bit differently. But if it works for you using an FGDB, then all is good then.

0 Kudos