ArcGIS Pro: Create Space Time Tool/Time field

04-23-2016 09:09 AM
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

Anyone successfully used Visualize Space Time Cube in 3D tool? In order to do this visualization I needed to use Create Space Time Cube Tool first but stuck at the point to input Time Field. I don't understand how to input my time stamps for all point features in my data. Please help. My data is disease incidence aggregated by ZIP data.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that covers the spatial component... do you have that data for different time periods?

0 Kudos
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

time field.png

Thanks. My data content is ZIP, ZIP centroid (lat&long), ZIP population (grand_tota), 18 years (year), disease incidence per year by each ZIP (counts). I don't know what this Time Field is asking from me. It doesn't have browse option. I am confused.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ok, you have points, but they need to be in projected coordinates, so project the file, you have some attributes and you have a time field which looks llike 2009, 2012, 2013 for each centroid zip code.  The help isn't clear as whether it needs to be a time field or a string representation of the time.

An overview of the Space Time Pattern Mining toolbox—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

provides more details, but I am suspecting that your time data and its spacing is pretty slim to be of much use for the outputs that it is used for

Create Space Time Cube—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Anyway, I will leave that for you to decide so you don't waste time working on something that isn't appropriate for the data that the tool is designed for

BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

This is not a complete view of my dataset. I have 19 years 1995-2013 and 9950 individual points for all New York State Zip each has disease incident counts for 19 years in total. And I hope my data is then space time and this tool could be suitable. I read all this overviews, none actually tells me what exactly that time field requires for input.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

time is of your choosing... you obviously only have yearly data

0 Kudos
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

Do you think that yearly data is the problem here?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It could be the type of field... from the first link they are quite specific about the format... just because a field has a date in it, doesn't mean it is a date field, it could be a numeric or string field masquarading as a date field.  The downfall of relying on ones eyes. From the help... you may have to give it good read, I don't have time now, sorry.

• Select a field of type Date for the Time Field parameter. This field should contain the timestamp associated with each point feature.
0 Kudos
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

No problem. I got your insights. Thanks much.

0 Kudos
BayarmagnaiMunkhjargal
New Contributor III

Sharing solution would be helpful, I guess. That "Time Field" was to verify whether date variable in my data is in compatible date format. After I tried Convert Date Field in ArcGis Pro to convert my year in text format to YYYY format unsuccessfully, I quit and made the changes in excel sheet using =Date(dd, mm,year) formula. Date field was then finally recognized as a date to Arcgis when I import it and "Time Field" in Create Space Time Cube Tool accepted my input "date1" after all. I then projected and run. My output file was produced in .nc format which I will now use for Cluster Outlier Analysis aka Anselin's Local Moran's I.