ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 problems with role permissions in Oracle

Jump to solution
03-23-2017 03:00 AM
RyanMonk1
New Contributor III

In ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 (ArcCatalog or ArcMap) I get the following error when attempting to add a feature class to a map from an Oracle 11g (11.2.0.4) Enterprise Geodatabase (10.2.1) which I have been granted select permission through a role:

Error opening feature class

Insufficient permissions [insufficient permissions[OWNER.TABLE_NAME]]

And then immediately after it another error pops up:

Could not add the specified data object to the map.

Insufficient permissions [insufficient permissions[OWNER.TABLE_NAME]]

Sometimes the "Insufficient permissions" line is repeated 2 or 3 times.

Right clicking on a layer and doing Properties gives an error that only includes the "Insufficient permissions" line the first time.  Trying it again does nothing (no error message).

In ArcCatalog If I modify the permissions (through a separate connection as admin) in any way while my user connection is open then I am able to access all layers granted through roles.  If I disconnect and reconnect then the error returns.  I can't reproduce this in ArcMap, only Catalog.

If I am granted permission on the layer directly to my user account (not through the role) then I can access it.

If I have been granted the SELECT ANY TABLE system privilege then I am able to access all layers.

The role is a default role for my account.

The error only occurs on feature classes, plain tables work fine.

I only get the error when connecting directly to the geodatabase, going through the ArcSDE Server 10.2.1 works correctly.

I do not get this error using ArcMap 10.4 or lower.

The same problem occurs when trying access the layer with arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management:

ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid. ERROR 000732: Input Features: Dataset C:/db_connection.sde/OWNER.TABLE_NAME does not exist or is not supported Failed to execute (MakeFeatureLayer)

12 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, release 10.5.1 is not out yet. It is just an update that this Bug will be fixed in the upcoming release of 10.5.1.

BUG-000104457: While adding data to an ArcMap 10.5 session as data .. 

0 Kudos
ManviLather1
Occasional Contributor

No, 10.5.1 is not out for the general public. Also, I have not tested this issue with ArcMap 10.5.1, however, the development team has tested and confirmed that BUG is fixed in 10.5.1.

0 Kudos
ManviLather1
Occasional Contributor

The  BUG-000104457 is addressed in the patch:

http://support.esri.com/download/7504

This patch is for ArcMap 10.5.