ArcGIS 10 editing point feature results in feature disappearing and losing coordinate

07-08-2011 06:13 AM
JustinShepard
Occasional Contributor II
Twice now I have been editing a point feature (different shapefiles) and after I move the point it disappears. If I calculate the geometry (Y Coordinate of Point in decimal degrees) of the point I get 1.#QNAN as the result. If I calc it in DMS then I get -2147483648° -2147483648' 1.#QO". The record in the attribute table still exists ArcGIS just can't locate the feature in space.

Has anyone seen this or know why it is happening?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BarbaraNerness
New Contributor
I've encountered the same problem many times. Always while in editing mode with a point shapefile. I've tried removing and adding the shapefile after I'm done editing, and also reopening the entire project, but that does not make the point appear on the map or allow me to locate it again.
0 Kudos
MaryHoward1
New Contributor
We are having the same problem with point shapefiles - any resolution?
0 Kudos
JustinShepard
Still no resolution that I'm aware of. It doesn't appear to be consistent either so it's difficult to track down the cause.
0 Kudos
ErickSumner
New Contributor
Import the shapefile into a geodatabase!
0 Kudos
JustinShepard
It looks like there are two possible causes 1) ArcGIS is having trouble handling shapefiles or 2) it is having trouble handling on-the-fly projections with shapefiles
Still testing to make sure that this is isolated to shapefiles only.
0 Kudos
NateRock1
New Contributor
I'm not sure what is causing this either, but I found a fix that may help.  While in an editing session if you right-click on the point you want to move, then click on edit vertices.  This allowed me to move the point.
0 Kudos
JaimieJoseph
New Contributor

This worked for me.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
FaithJohnson
New Contributor II
We just started having this problem since upgrading to 10. Our data is in a file geodatabase. The user creates a point, it is highlighted and shows up in the data view, when the selection is cleared, the point disappears. It is still in the database but the user cannot see it in the map view. If I re-add the layer (using a layer file with the same definition query and same symbology), the feature shows up. But after a few more edits, the same problem returns and the features are disappearing again.

I should note that the file geodatabases have many feature classes and their are many layers in the mxd.

Faith Stuart
North Carolina Department of Transportation
Management Systems and Assessments Unit
0 Kudos
CarstenHelsted
New Contributor
This issue has just occured for me using ArcGIS desktop 10.1 (Not Sp1) editing a point featureclass from a 10.1 file geodatabase.

After Moving a point within an edit session causes the the point to dissapear (graphically). The feature still exists in the tableviewer.

Any updates for a solution?
0 Kudos