ArcGIS 10 create locator failed, it works before in 931

405
9
10-06-2010 08:08 PM
Highlighted
by
New Contributor
I enclosed data here, can anyone help?
I compared my data with ESRI's sample data, the only difference is my Polyline has Z value, but actually all the Z are null value.

I have 2 issues here.
1. Can I create the address locator in ArcGIS 10 with Z enabled? I tried also, it works fine after I removed the Z.
2. After removed the Z value, I store the data in a local FileGDB, and create a locator, it can doing reverse geocoding fine, but after I moved it to UNC (something like \\MyServer\Geodata\), same steps I create the address locator, the reverse geocoding doesn't work.

Can you help to try this with enclosed data?

Thanks very much.
Tom
Tags (2)
Reply
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
by
New Contributor
After series testing, I found it's nothing about Z value, I create 2 address locators along with 2 street feature classes, the only difference between the 2 layers is coordinate systems.


One is NAD_1983_StatePlane_Arizona_Central_FIPS_0202_Feet.
Second is GCS_North_American_1983.

Now the locator based on second feature class works fine, but the first not, it's amazing!

I also enclosed the comparison data in FileGDB format and the video I recorded, you can get the player from below link.
http://www.webex.com/downloadplayer.html

I don't know whether it's an ESRI bug, hope Geocoding team can help to check this.

Thanks,
Tom
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor
Tom,

We had a few issues with projected data at 10 that are fixed in SP1.

Brad
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II
Brad,

Could you please elaborate on these fixes? I am trying to create address locators for a particular project and it keeps failing to execute. The errors are listed below:

*******************************************************************
000622 : Failed to execute (<value>). Parameters are not valid.
Description
The specified parameters are invalid.

Solution
Check the tool's help for a complete list of its parameters and expected syntax.
*******************************************************************
000110 : <value> does not exist

Description
The tool cannot complete because the output path does not exist.

Solution
Check the path to ensure that it has been specified correctly. Either modify the path to an existing location or create the directory structure and the geodatabase if necessary. Rerun the tool.

*******************************************************************


These locators are referencing our base SDE data and are being saved to project folders on our server. It also seems we have received these nondescript error messages for other tools (import feature class coming to mind) in ArcGIS 10. More information on this would be helpful.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor
Would you be willing to share your data?  I could take a look and see why it is failing.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II
Brad,

I have already opened a tech support request with ESRI since leaving my last post. It seems the locator will create when the reference data does not originate out of our SDE database. I will let the support ticket run its course and see what comes of it, for now.

In the meantime, would you mind looking at the dual range locator for points I am trying to geocode? I can send you the data via our upload/download site since the data is too large to attach in this forum, if you don't mind. Thank you.

--Steve
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
After series testing, I found it's nothing about Z value, I create 2 address locators along with 2 street feature classes, the only difference between the 2 layers is coordinate systems.


I reached the same problem and was hoping ArcGIS 10 sp1 would fix this.  Unfortunately in my case sp1 only gave me a partial fix... individual address locators now work - but ArcCatalog still refuses to create a composite address locator using individual address locators & data that sport a state plane projection.  The temporary fix I'm using is reprojecting my data to GCS_North_American_1983.
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor
Try creating the composite locator in a file folder instead.

Brad
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Try creating the composite locator in a file folder instead.


This tip fixed the composite locator for me.  I was trying to store it in a file geodatabase - parking it in a file folder instead cleared up the problems I was having.  Thanks!
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor
That is a bug but we have fixed it locally already and plan on getting it into SP2.

Brad
Reply
0 Kudos