arcgis 10 append

06-20-2013 08:53 AM
EliyahJno_Baptiste
New Contributor II
Arcgis 10.

Can i append selected data from one data base directly to another without exporting it?
That is select and append straight to another.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Arcgis 10.

Can i append selected data from one data base directly to another without exporting it?
That is select and append straight to another.

Edit:  Reread the post and realized I missed the statement about selecting records.  What is it you want to end up with?  A new feature class or records appended to an existing feature class?  Are you trying to preserve ObjectID?  (You can't for a selection set).  What do you consider direct that export does not do?
0 Kudos
EliyahJno_Baptiste
New Contributor II
Edit:  Reread the post and realized I missed the statement about selecting records.  What is it you want to end up with?  A new feature class or records appended to an existing feature class?  Are you trying to preserve ObjectID?  (You can't for a selection set).  What do you consider direct that export does not do?

I want to avoid the time it takes to go through toolbox to merge/append data. So if i could find a way to add newly added data to map to merge with existing data from a different dadabase.

So if i have 1000 utility poles on my map display and i add 5 new gps poles today i want to add them directly from my table of content without i run it through toolbox. Is there a way?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
If you have an edit session open inside ArcMap, you can select your 5 gps points, and click on the Edit tab > copy > paste.  When you hit paste, it should give you a drop down  and you can choose your poles layer to add the selected points to.

Though I should add, all the attributes may not be transferred properly if you do not have the same schema with your GPS points.  You could also look into the Attribute" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/... Transfer tool

Is there any particular reason why you want to skip the append tool though?  I think this is always going to be your best bet and the safest way.
0 Kudos