ArcGIS 10.2: Could not open a FGDB, "Workspace or data source is read only"

08-07-2013 01:00 AM
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
I installed ArcGIS 10.2 on a fresh (virtual) machine. I copied some existing File Geodatabases (version 10.1) via network share on the new machine to a local drive. Some File geodatabases can not be opened:

Failed to connect to database.
Workspace or data source is read only.

All following tries will add more "Workspace or data source is read only." messages to the error dialog.

Some FGDBs have this problem, some not.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelGratzl
New Contributor
I have the same problem. Anyone found a solution for this problem?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Do you still have a machine with v10.1 on it?  Try to use the same file geodatabases on that machine to see if they still work.  Maybe there could be some corruption.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I think what you might be experiencing is NIM090672: Specific Microsoft updates may result in data corruption with file geodatabases or shapefiles created on a network share.  In short, when writing data to a file geodatabase on a network share using a few select Windows operating systems, errors can occur upon subsequent request of that same data.  In your case, this looks like it could be the issue based on what you reported.  Check out the link below to determine if this is correct in your case and how to apply the fixes:

http://support.esri.com/zh-cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/41119
0 Kudos