ArcGIS 10.1: Starting ???ArcSDE Service (esri_sde)" stops!

12-14-2012 11:08 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

Starting �??ArcSDE Service (esri_sde)" stops!

I tried to start the �??ArcSDE Service (esri_sde) service but I got the messages below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19951[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]19952[/ATTACH]
What might be the problem?

Thank you in advance

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
21 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

That's a standard Windows error that appears whenever the ArcSDE service has been
misconfigured in any way.  Unfortunately, you didn't provide any of the information which
would be necessary to help you:

RDBMS product, version, and service pack/patchset
ArcSDE version, service pack, and any additional patches
The output from 'sdeservice -o list'
The contents of your SDEHOME/etc/dbinit.sde file
Any error messages from the SDEHOME/etc/giomgr.log
An architecture description (the OS type and relative location of the ArcGIS Server,
ArcSDE, and database components)

All in text form, not as graphics, please -- It's important to place error messages in the
message text block, because that's how others would be able to find your solution.
In fact, if you had searched on the key words of the message ("arcsde service started
then stopped"), you would have found a number of useful postings.

- V
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
That's a standard Windows error that appears whenever the ArcSDE service has been
misconfigured in any way.  Unfortunately, you didn't provide any of the information which
would be necessary to help you:

RDBMS product, version, and service pack/patchset
ArcSDE version, service pack, and any additional patches
The output from 'sdeservice -o list'
The contents of your SDEHOME/etc/dbinit.sde file
Any error messages from the SDEHOME/etc/giomgr.log
An architecture description (the OS type and relative location of the ArcGIS Server,
ArcSDE, and database components)

All in text form, not as graphics, please -- It's important to place error messages in the
message text block, because that's how others would be able to find your solution.
In fact, if you had searched on the key words of the message ("arcsde service started
then stopped"), you would have found a number of useful postings.

- V

Thank you for the answer Vince.

Please, find attached the steps (powered by screenshots) that show how I configured the application server. I�??m sorry not to provide these steps in text format as I wanted to let the screenshots to speak out themselves.

�?� I�??m using Windows 7 64 ultimate, sqlserver 2088, ArcGIS 10.1 (advanced), ArcSDE 10.1 (Enterprise)
�?� sqlserver 2088, ArcGIS 10.1, ArcSDE 10.1 are installed on the same machine named m-pc
�?� The dbinit.sde file contains nothing
�?� The ArcSDE is installed in
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcSDE

�?� The sql server database is physically saved in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA

Hope that this is sufficient to lead me to my problem and thus I can get the service started.

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

Don't know if this is the issue (I don't have ArcSDE at hand right now), but I did notice that in the screenshot of the windows "services" file in notepad, that you copied the

"esri_sde 5151/TCP"

line at the end of the text file.

If I remember it well, the line needs to be inserted in the rising order of port numbers, so in your case in between two other port number entries of the file.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Don't know if this is the issue (I don't have ArcSDE at hand right now), but I did notice that in the screenshot of the windows "services" file in notepad, that you copied the

"esri_sde 5151/TCP"

line at the end of the text file.

If I remember it well, the line needs to be inserted in the rising order of port numbers, so in your case in between two other port number entries of the file.

Thank you for the answer Marco

the �??esri_sde               5151/tcp�?� is copied onto srvices file in page number 52 in the attached pdf file and also shown in the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19964[/ATTACH]

if the place of �??esri_sde               5151/tcp�?� in the service file is an issue then where should it be positioned?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

if the place of �??esri_sde               5151/tcp�?� in the service file is an issue then where should it be positioned?

In the rising order based on port number, so in between

ipsec-msft 4500/udp

and

llmnr 5355/tcp

I would also refrain from using empty lines in the services text file.

Marco
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Marco -

While it is probably wise to populate the services file in port order, it certainly isn't required.
The only thing that's necessary is a terminal newline (otherwise the last line in the file is
discarded).  Empty lines are legal (and ignored, just like lines with leading octothorpes).

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the rising order based on port number, so in between

ipsec-msft 4500/udp

and

llmnr 5355/tcp

I would also refrain from using empty lines in the services text file.

Marco

Thank you for the prompt answer Macro.

I tried it but sounds not to work. Please, have a look on the screenshot below
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19975[/ATTACH]

(Of course I saved the file after the change)

What other suggestions might be helpful?
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Marco -

While it is probably wise to populate the services file in port order, it certainly isn't required.
The only thing that's necessary is a terminal newline (otherwise the last line in the file is
discarded).  Empty lines are legal (and ignored, just like lines with leading octothorpes).

- V

Hi Vince,

Thank you for the answer.

Could you please elaborate more regarding the �??terminal newline�?�?

What should it contain?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19976[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Marco -

- V

Hi guys,

An instructor provided me the answer! What follows the �??p should be sde123 but not sde

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19986[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]19987[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]19988[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]19989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19989[/ATTACH]

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos