ArcGIS 10.1 ArcCatalog - Where's the Add spatial database Connection

09-07-2012 03:52 PM
harleypowers_parks
New Contributor III
So, lucky me, I have geodatabase connections from 10.0;
There is not an Add spatial database connection or sde connection?

here's the connection property view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17558[/ATTACH]

and here is the same dialog when trying to add connection, notice the application server is missing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17559[/ATTACH]

I can copy the connection file, but when trying to explain to a user how to make connections...
is there a setting that can correct this...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
So, lucky me, I have geodatabase connections from 10.0;
There is not an Add spatial database connection or sde connection?

here's the connection property view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17558[/ATTACH]

and here is the same dialog when trying to add connection, notice the application server is missing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17559[/ATTACH]

I can copy the connection file, but when trying to explain to a user how to make connections...
is there a setting that can correct this...

Hi Harley.

I have the same problem, i have my old connections from 10.0 and i think that you can add the application server option if you install Arcsde 10.1 application server on your pc.

Good luck
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mrdei

At ArcGIS 10.1, sde connection files for application server connections can be created using the "Create ArcSDE Connection File" geoprocessing tool. The new Database Connections dialog has been enhanced to make connections to any supported RDBMS. This link has more information on making connections in ArcGIS 10.1.

Thanks
0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor
I wanted to also add that if you have existing .sde connection files that were using the application server connection they will continue to work. You can use the 'Create ArcSDE connection File' tool to create new Application server connections if needed. The 'Add Spatial Database connection' has been replaced with 'Add Database Connection' which uses client side drivers to directly connect to the database without having to supply the special syntax that previous versions used when making a direct connect. eg: sde:sqlserver:instance

Here is a blog that touches on this topic:
Connecting �?? To Be or Not To Be with ArcSDE [10.1]
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2012/06/20/connecting-to-be-or-not-to-be-with-arcsde-10-1/
0 Kudos