Arc GIS Server & Desktop & Arc SDE: How it is related ?

09-06-2011 04:18 AM
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I need small clariifcation. Please clarify with the positive response.

See this is as per ESRI information:

At ArcGIS 9.2, ArcSDE is no longer a stand-alone product. It is now known as ArcSDE technology and is included with both the ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server products

Enterprise Geodatabase�??This is the traditional ArcSDE geodatabase that was available prior to ArcGIS 9.2 and was designed for large-scale enterprise systems. It is included as part of ArcGIS Server Enterprise. Users provide their own RDBMS license for this level of scalable geodatabase. The RDBMS is typically administered and managed by a database administrator (DBA). The geodatabase can be scaled to any size and number of users, running on computers of any size and configuration

Now my question is:

1) we have installed Arc GIS Desktop one system
2) We have installed Arc GIS Server Enterprise advanced edition 10 in another server ( system)

Now i would like to maintain in future Arc SDE Geo database as per our project requirements.Based on above information Arc SDE is no longer now. and the Arc SDE Techology is intergerated with both Arc GIS Desktop 10 and Arc GIS Server as per esri information. but i have installed arcgis desktop ad server with different system. Hence how it is related these things with the Arc SDE and how we can connect Arc SDE without install. Anyone can explain this. I need very urgency this technology.

request you to give me clear clarification without attaching any Link files. Please.. thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I need small clariifcation. Please clarify with the positive response.

See this is as per ESRI information:

At ArcGIS 9.2, ArcSDE is no longer a stand-alone product. It is now known as ArcSDE technology and is included with both the ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server products

Enterprise Geodatabase�??This is the traditional ArcSDE geodatabase that was available prior to ArcGIS 9.2 and was designed for large-scale enterprise systems. It is included as part of ArcGIS Server Enterprise. Users provide their own RDBMS license for this level of scalable geodatabase. The RDBMS is typically administered and managed by a database administrator (DBA). The geodatabase can be scaled to any size and number of users, running on computers of any size and configuration

Now my question is:

1) we have installed Arc GIS Desktop one system
2) We have installed Arc GIS Server Enterprise advanced edition 10 in another server ( system)

Now i would like to maintain in future Arc SDE Geo database as per our project requirements.Based on above information Arc SDE is no longer now. and the Arc SDE Techology is intergerated with both Arc GIS Desktop 10 and Arc GIS Server as per esri information. but i have installed arcgis desktop ad server with different system. Hence how it is related these things with the Arc SDE and how we can connect Arc SDE without install. Anyone can explain this. I need very urgency this technology.

request you to give me clear clarification without attaching any Link files. Please.. thank you.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcSDE is a *component* of ArcGIS Server (no longer sold separately).  This component
still requires install before it can be used.  Note that with ArcSDE there are *three* kinds
of install:  Software on the server, database configuration, and software on the client.
The client component is covered by all ArcGIS products, so you just need to install the
server component (install) and database component (post-install).

You probably want to reconsider the "no links" directive, since the documentation is the
clearest information you will find on this topic.

- V
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Jagadeesh,

... Based on above information ArcSDE is no longer now. and the ArcSDE Techology is intergerated with both ArcGIS Desktop 10 and ArcGIS Server as per esri information. ... how it is related these things with the ArcSDE and how we can connect ArcSDE without install. ...

To clarify, since the 9.2 release ArcSDE is no longer a separate product offering. However, it is still a software product with its own installation, and is now included in the "product box" with both ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS for Server.

ArcGIS for Desktop (at the ArcEditor and ArcInfo levels) includes ArcSDE technology for SQL Server Express (aka. Personal ArcSDE). ArcSDE technology is a separate installation from Desktop. It enables you to create Desktop Geodatabases.

ArcGIS for Server also includes ArcSDE technology in 2 offerings:

1. ArcGIS for Server Workgroup (all editions) includes ArcSDE technology for SQL Server Express (aka. Workgroup ArcSDE). ArcSDE technology is a separate installation from Server. It enables you to create Workgroup Geodatabases.

2. ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (all editions) includes Enterprise ArcSDE technology which can be installed on several different DBMS platforms (e.g., DB2, Informix, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server). Enterprise ArcSDE technology is a separate installation from Server. It enables you to create Enterprise Geodatabases.

FYI: There are 3 types of multiuser ArcSDE geodatabases: Enterprise, Workgroup, and Desktop.

Types of multiuser ArcSDE geodatabases

I suggest you review the ArcGIS help documetation for more information and specifics of each type of ArcSDE geodatabase.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Jagadeesh,

Just to add onto what Vince posted, please review my response to your other similar thread here:

ArcGIS Server General Forum: ArcGIS Server & Desktop & ArcSDE: How it is related?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos