ARC GIS 10.2 attribute table of 1.4 million rows to export as a txt file

Jump to solution
12-19-2014 02:57 AM
AndrewTonks
New Contributor

Hi , I'm trying to export 1.4m rows of an attribute table created from some spacial analysis out of ARC GIS 10.2 and into a text file for further work in R . I've used the export function on the table view and in the dialog box , chosen to select all records and export to an output table as a text file. When I look at the text file however , only 149,505 rows have been exported from the original 1.4m?

Anyone got an idea of where I'm going wrong here?

Thank you .

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

If your file is a shapefile, you can browse to it in windows explorer and open the .dbf file.  This will open it in excel.

You can then save the file as a text file from excel.  Make sure you don't change anything when you open the .dbf file because it could corrupt your shapefile.

Steven

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Does the same issue occur if you export to a DBF, or to a File Geodatabase table?

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

If your file is a shapefile, you can browse to it in windows explorer and open the .dbf file.  This will open it in excel.

You can then save the file as a text file from excel.  Make sure you don't change anything when you open the .dbf file because it could corrupt your shapefile.

Steven

0 Kudos
AndrewTonks
New Contributor

Thanks to both you Steven and Jake,

I think that help has done enough to move me on . Every time I tried to export the full dataset as a dbf  ARC GIS crashed and shutdown however I can break the data into two smaller  exports as dbf files and that works OK . I can then open each  in Excel 2015 and save as txt or csv files . The recombination to a full dataset can then be done in R .

Best Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

I just created the attached tool for ArcGIS Pro to export CSV from a table view.

It also writes a schema.ini file which Excel will leverage to maintain field types from ArcGIS.

You should be able to back-port it quite easily.

regards

0 Kudos