Appending large volume of data into enterprise geodatabase(Oracle, ArcSDE 9.3.1)

02-14-2012 11:23 PM
VaibhavKapur
New Contributor
Hi All,

We are currently facing situation that seems to be affecting application and data loading. Currently our web solution is utilized by Customer for updation and editing related activities on Electrical Network (ArcFM). Now there are more network data needs to load/append to existing network datasets . Currently we are using append tool in ArcCatalog. We have custom autoupdaters configured in ArcFm according to clients requirements which have to be turned off during loading hence client cannot work during data loading activity. This works well when number of records to be loaded are less around 50000 . But now we have to load more than 10 lac records at a time. Can anyone suggest a better way for loading the data. Data which we are loading is coming from a third party vendor in the form of fgdb.

Regards,
Vaibhav Kapur
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamRice
Occasional Contributor II
Other options for loading data and appending data to an existing ArcSDE standalone table or feature class:
1.  Use the "Load Objects" command with ArcCatalog.  Works best with point features or standalone tables.
I have used with to load ~80,000 records at a time with SQL Server 2008 as the back end database.  The load proceeds fairly promptly.

2.  Use the ArcSDE Administration commands like "shp2sde".
Use "sdetable -o append"

I use the sde2shp command to quickly replace the entire contents of a 77,000 record ArcSDE polygon feature class.
I use "sdetable -o truncate" to quickly truncate the feature class (e.g. delete all features out of the feature class).
I then use "sdetable -o init" to then load a new shape file into ArcSDE.  All of this takes just about 5 seconds compared to a very long time using ArcGIS Desktop.
0 Kudos