Alternatives to using SDE command line tools - Blog Discussion

10-21-2013 07:40 AM
ChetDobbins
Esri Contributor
With the release of 10.2 and plans to deprecate the ArcSDE command line tools, you may be wondering how current tasks that use these tools can be completed elsewhere. This blog provides some workflows that have alternate user interface tools in ArcCatalog/ArcMap that will make transitioning as seamless as possible.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/10/04/do-this-not-that-alternatives-to-using-sde-comma...

We are very interested in hearing feedback from everyone who uses the ArcSDE commands, including questions, concerns, and ideas for making this successful. You can also contact Esri Support Services for specific ArcSDE commands that do not have comparable replacements.

This document outlines the planned changes in platform and functionality in the ArcGIS 10.2 release and
includes a reference to ArcGIS 10.1 deprecation notes.
http://downloads2.esri.com/support/TechArticles/W26496_W25918_DEPRECATION_PLAN_FOR_ARCGIS_101_and_10...
131 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I have since learned that ArcPy now supports AcceptConnections, DisconnectUser, and ListUsers as of ArcGIS 10.1.

Sigh....  ListUsers requires an administrative SDE workspace/connection, SDEMON didn't, so there is still some progress to be had.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
'sdemon' certainly did require SDE user access rights, it just passed those access
rights to any connection on the port (which could be construed as a security hole).

- V
0 Kudos
FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
New Contributor III
That will replace geoprocess  for "dbtune" command ?
for loads in custom mode, change keywords  etc.
I do not understand that there are no courses 10.1 / 2 where they could study the performance depending on the DBMS:
Oracle  (ACTO), SQLServer ACTS ...

Regards
Francisco
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Some more options that are missing:
1)            Sdegdbrepair - ??
2)            Sdeexport / sdeimport:  should we continue to use this as a way to transfer data?
3)            Sdegroup - ??
4)            Sdelayer -o si_stats :  is GDBT going to be part of core? It does not exists for 10.1
5)            Sdelayer -o load_only / normal_io : helps to load a lot of data.
6)            Sdetable -o add_uuid_column / populate_uuid_column - ??
7)            Sdetable -o unregister : should we use that at all?

We tried to get a NIM for all of them but failed�?�
Ofcourse not all of them are the same importance

Thanks
Mody
0 Kudos
VytautasGipiskis
Esri Contributor
1. sdelayer -o stats (useful when working on sdebinary/sdelob)
2. sdelayer -o describe_long (to get a spatial index sizes for sdebinary, UI no longer shows it)
3. sdelayer -o alter -g (alter spatial index for sdebinary, as tools not always provide best estimate for spatial index)
4. sdegroup �?? while caches provides best per performance, sometimes users just need to snap to a vector features. Grouped layer provides best performance for such scenarios
5. sdelayer -o si_stats �?? there is no equivalent for this info in GUI
6. sdedbtune �?? what is a proper way to alter dbtune table ? Use SQL ?
7. sdeversion -o close_state for closing unclosed states ?
0 Kudos
DavidKlein1
New Contributor II
Is it indeed the case that SDEGDBREPAIR will no longer exist at 10.2?? 

We have just had our 2nd unplanned outage on our editing geodatabase in 6 weekswhich was fixable by SDEGDBREPAIR.  We are now planning our 10.2 upgrade...but the prospect of not having that SDEGDBREPAIR safety net is more than a little unnerving!

Can someone from Esri please chime in on availability of these other SDE command line tools?
0 Kudos
JimFaulkner
New Contributor III

It's true - no SDEGDBREPAIR tool. I am running 10.2.2 now and purposely chose NOT to install the command line utilities because ESRI is no longer supporting them. I am having an issue with intermittent rights / privileges and the first thing they told me to do was run the SDEGDBREPAIR tool.... I told them I did not install it, nor, was I going to install it. I hope they add the option in ArcCatalog!

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jim,

We are supporting the SDE Command Line tools at 10.2.x. Starting at 10.3, the command line tools were not released. You can use the 10.2.2 command line tools and run the SDEGDBREPAIR, if needed, against your 10.2.2 geodatabase.

The SDEGDBREPAIR tools have been ported to a Geoprocessing Tool in ArcToolbox --> Data Management --> Geodatabase Administration toolbox.

Here is some more information on the ArcGIS 10.3 GP tools:

Diagnose Version Metadata

Diagnose Version Tables

Repair Version Metadata

Repair Version Tables

Hope this help....

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JimFaulkner
New Contributor III

thanks - great information to know

0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

To add to George's statement, here are some updated tech articles and help docs relevant to this discussion:

44300 - Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases?

Migrate from ArcSDE administration commands—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  10.3 help

George Thompson

0 Kudos