(Again) ???Table to table??? & ???table to domain???,

02-26-2013 09:59 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
(Again) �??Table to table�?� & �??table to domain�?�,

This may be the third time I�??m highlighting this issue. Importing table to domain is really very frustrating issue and regularly ends up with error.

1. I tried to apply the tool �??table to domain�?� from an excel table to SDE database but ends up with an error.

2. Mr. Whitley recommended to import the excel table to the geodatabase and then to apply the command �??table to domain�?� from there. The issue is that this approach works in certain cases but fails on others. For example, the attached goedatabase contains two tables which I fail to stick in the domain by the command �??table to domain�?�.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22180[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]22181[/ATTACH]

I�??m not sure if there might be a root solution for this very frequent problem.

In the past, I have encountered a similar a very frustrating problem�?� Paste failed: �??The spatial references don�??t match�?�. I got help from many of the experts on the forum but sounds not to work. Josh Thompson has introduced a root solution for this issue. Without his very appreciated input I will be struggling each single time I import feature classes to geodatabase. If you are interested, please, access the link below:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/75651-Paste-failed-%E2%80%9CThe-spatial-references-don%E2%80%99t-ma...

I think this is the sort of solution that might form an end for the �??tragedy�?� when using the command �??table to domain�?�

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, you are trying to apply a domain where you in a sense have two coded values, you have no description field.  These are quite large (Block Number 563 records, and Parcel Number 781 records).  Never had this issue, but have you thought of the process where, you create a geodatabase locally, create your feature dataset, load the layer, then add the domain at the local level.  After defining your local dataset, copying via feature class to feature class into SDE, which will copy your domain information.  You basically use your local GDB as a staging gdb prior to the load to SDE.  This can all be scripted.  Have you ever worked with Python or Modelbuilder?

Perhaps you can send me your excel file for testing and verification.

I typically try and stay away from directly hitting the sde, and do everything in staging gdbs, outside of building a new topology, or other final components etc..
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

So, you are trying to apply a domain where you in a sense have two coded values, you have no description field.  These are quite large (Block Number 563 records, and Parcel Number 781 records).  Never had this issue, but have you thought of the process where, you create a geodatabase locally, create your feature dataset, load the layer, then add the domain at the local level.  After defining your local dataset, copying via feature class to feature class into SDE, which will copy your domain information.  You basically use your local GDB as a staging gdb prior to the load to SDE.  This can all be scripted.  Have you ever worked with Python or Modelbuilder?

Perhaps you can send me your excel file for testing and verification.

Thank you Ted for the help,

�?� The excel file is attached

�?� Have you tried to apply the �??table to domain�?� from the goedatabase attached to my previous post? Did it work with you? Did you get the same error message that I got?

�?� The domain of parcel and block is being built from an EXISITING data! And this is the distinct values that we got for ID of parcels and blocks!

�?� The domain is failed to be built neither on gdb or SDE! Please, try it if your time permits

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos