Administer Geodatabase technical issues

03-12-2014 10:08 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pieter990

Hi All,

Since our upgrade from ArcGIS 10.1 to ArcGIS 10.2,
we have been unable to use the "Administer Geodatabase" dialog,
The dialog simply does not want to open from ArcCatalog (no response when attempting to open the dialog)

Furthermore, when accessing the Database Properties,
I get the following error message, when I press the "Show connected users..." button,
: Unable to cast object of type 'System.__ComObject' to type 'ESRI.ArcGIS.DataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspaceFactoryClass'

has anyone come across this before?

(see attached screenshots)

Regards
Pieter Holtzhausen
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

What OS are you using? You seem to be using an older version of Windows looking at the screenshots? Are you running the required .NET Framework version?

The Administer Geodatabase dialogs seem to be based on some of the new functionalities of .NET Framework (WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation?) or Windows in 10.2, because the dialogs look markedly different than the "normal" dialogs.
0 Kudos
PieterHoltzhausen
New Contributor III
Hi,

Perhaps important to mention is:
That we have two servers with ArcGIS installations, the one runs sql server and the other the arcgis server:

Server 1:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard sp1,
.NET Framework 3.5 sp1.
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop
ArcGIS 10.2 License Manager
ArcGIS 10.2 Web Adaptor (IIS)
ArcGIS 10.2 for Server
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)

Server 2:
Windows Server Standard sp2,
.NET Framework 3.5 sp1.
SQL Server 2008
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop
ArcGIS 10.2 License Manager
ArcGIS 10.2 for Microsoft SQL Server
ArcSDE 10.2 Command Line Tools

Can you see any problems with our setup?
your help would be much appreciated..

Pieter
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

Does your Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installation have Service Pack 2 applied?  The Esri documentation indicates that the Express, Standard, and Enterprise editions of SQL Server 2008 (non-R2) database are supported at Service Pack 2. 

Run the following query against your SQL Server geodatabase to see if SP2 is applied:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

Source: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.2/index.html#/Microsoft_SQL_Server_Databa...
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
More importantly.... Are you observing the issue on both the servers?  You didn't mention that in either of the posts.
Also are you observing this issue with any geodatabase or just that one?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pieter990

I have found the culprit,

It seems the problem was caused by a custom add-in that I was testing called Attribute Assistant,
(http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/localgovernment/10.2/index.html#//028s0000014m000000)
as soon as I removed the add-in the problem was resolved.

I would however still like to make use off this add-in,
Esri, would you please have look at what causes the add-in conflicts ?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Esri does not investigate specific issues or individual requests like this which surface from the forums.  You will need to open a ticket with Esri Technical Support if you want that level of assistance for your particular issue.  There are many, many reasons why add-ins can cause problems and each occurrence is unique.
0 Kudos
JonMorris2
Occasional Contributor II

I have just had the 'unable to cast' error and the fix can be found here​.

Tl;dr, you need to use an activator:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//00010000043p000000

1.             Type t = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("esriDataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspaceFactory"); 
  2.             System.Object obj = Activator.CreateInstance(t); 
  3.             IWorkspaceFactory sdeWorkspaceFactory= obj as IWorkspaceFactory; 

0 Kudos