Address Locator not able to find address

3725
6
11-21-2011 01:37 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor
We have a file geodatbase where we have crated a feature dataset consisting of few layers and an address locator (single field) referencing one layer from the feature dataset (please refer to the screenshot attached). But, for some reason the address locator is not able to find the address (always says '....address not found') even in the ArcMap. Of-course same thing happens after publishing this address locator as geocode service and use it through 'Find Address' Task in the arcgis server (java webadf).

But, if we create an address locator that reference to a normal shape file without any projection set (which is now included in the feature dataset with projection - Geographic Coordinate System), the address is found by the locator inside ArcMap on the mxd created using the layers in the feature dataset. But, because of the difference in spatial reference, neither can it point to the location on the map in the web mapping application (it doesn't draw or highlight the point on map) nor can it show any result on the result panel.

Can somebody please advice what could go wrong in this case and how can we fix it? We have tried creating address locator referencing a layer both in file/personal geodatabase and plain shape files with projection. Nothing seems to work. Please somebody help.

Thanks,
Archana
Tags (2)
Reply
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor
My guess is that the feature dataset is your problem.  Is there a compelling reason why your featureclass(es) need to be n a feature dataset? You might try to put the feature class in a geodatabase with out it being a member of a feature dataset and see if it works. 

Another trick I've recently learned (after geocoding gazillions of addresses) is to put the actual locator in a folder rather than have it stored in a geodatabase.

Hope this helps-
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
My guess is that the feature dataset is your problem.  Is there a compelling reason why your featureclass(es) need to be n a feature dataset? You might try to put the feature class in a geodatabase with out it being a member of a feature dataset and see if it works. 

Another trick I've recently learned (after geocoding gazillions of addresses) is to put the actual locator in a folder rather than have it stored in a geodatabase.

Hope this helps-


Thanks a lot for replying, but I have already tested those cases too.

Let me elaborate my test cases (also please refer to the attachment)

CASE I. shape file (Buildings) referenced from Address Locator in file geodatabase's feature Dataset
*** NOT ABLE TO FIND ADDRESS

CASE II . shape file (IITBBuildings) referenced from Address Locator in file geodatabase's feature Class,
*** NOT ABLE TO FIND ADDRESS

CASE III. shape file referenced from Address Locator in a folder with projection 'geographic coordinate system'
*** NOT ABLE TO FIND ADDRESS

CASE IV. shape file referenced from Address Locator in a folder with NO projection
*** ABLE TO FIND ADDRESS

So, to sum up, whenever I create an address locator referencing a shape file WITH projection (be it inside geodatabase as feature class or feature dataset or plain folder), it doesn't find address.

But, if I create an address locator referencing a shape file WITHOUT projection, it finds the address.  My problem is I have to have some projection set for my map document as I want to create a web application with 'Find Address' as a task along with some other tasks like 'Find Route' and all. I can't publish a map document (mxd) without projection being set and create web application out of it.

Can you think of any other reason for it to not work?

Thanks,
Archana
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Regular Contributor
Archana

Please open a support call with Esri, the analyst will track this issue to resolution.

Regards
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
Archana

Please open a support call with Esri, the analyst will track this issue to resolution.

Regards


Local ESRI support people advised me to install serverpack3. After installation, address locator works perfectly fine inside ArcMap. But with same address locator being published successfully on server, 'Find Addrss Task' through server manager (java web-adf) in a web mapping application is not able to pin point to the address on the map and result panel doesn't show anything. What's wrong now???
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
Archana

when we are publishing the web application in SOM, first we have to choose map service and after that we have to select supporting services and then add: address locator ( geo code service) and then add task as find address. and then configure. map service published sucessfully. then it will visible everything on wep maping application: like find address, results are showing.

Regards
Jagadeesh
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
Archana

when we are publishing the web application in SOM, first we have to choose map service and after that we have to select supporting services and then add: address locator ( geo code service) and then add task as find address. and then configure. map service published sucessfully. then it will visible everything on wep maping application: like find address, results are showing.

Regards
Jagadeesh


I tried all these, but out of the box 'Find Address' task doesn't return any result. I read from the following post that it's a known bug. Now, I am consuming the geocode service programmatically.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/39167-Geocode-Service-not-returning-results
ESRI replied that this is a confirmed bug. Probably won't fix it, since Java ADF is going to be deprecated in ArcGIS 10.1
#NIM065091: Out of the box JAVA ADF application created with Server Manager cannot find address using a geocode service published with ArcGIS Server Java
Reply
0 Kudos