Address locator (10.6 release) fails to locate intersections of numbered streets

03-25-2019 02:49 PM
DevonHedemark
New Contributor

We use a US Dual Range Address locator (10.6 style release) and it does not return results for intersections with the numbered street typed first?  We had the same behavior with a 10.5 style release.

If I search "west st and 8th st" it works fine.  If I search "8th st and west st" it does not return any results.

This behavior is the same using the Find tool or the geocoding toolbar in ArcMap.  Is this a known bug?

Regards, Devon

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Brian_McLeer
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Shana and Devon,

Has there been any update on this issue? I am having the same issue as we are upgrading from 10.3.1 to 10.6.1. On both levels, E MAIN ST and NE 5TH AVE works, however on 10.3.1 MAIN and 5TH works but does not work on 10.6.1.

Brian
0 Kudos
Brian_McLeer
Occasional Contributor II

A follow up to my above comment, while 5TH and MAIN does not work, NE 5TH AND MAIN does work just by adding NE at the beginning. 

Brian
0 Kudos
DevonHedemark1
New Contributor III

Hi Brian,

I have not submitted a ticket yet.  We do not have very many numbered streets so our dispatch is just entering the named street first for now.  I have a few other updates to complete and will be submitting a ticket.  I will post if we find a solution.

Regarding the post from Esri about creating the locator from Pro, we already have the dual range locator created from ArcMap, and added to our composite locator.  I'm not sure why creating a new locator from Pro would make a difference.

Regards, Devon

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Devon & Brian

There have been a few issues that have gone through Support related to this issue and perhaps you can reach out to Support to get attached to either of these

• BUG-000119849
  • BUG-000111399
  • BUG-000105332

The reason I suggested using Pro 2.3 to create the locator with the Create Locator tool using the StreetAddress role is because this tool creates new locators that do not exhibit the problem you are running into. They also provide valid house numbers for suggestions, improved intersection and reverse geocoding results. However, I don't believe Spillman can use the new locators directly yet, which is why I suggested adding them to a composite locator. If you do choose to go the route of creating the locators with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and add them to a composite locator, open the composite locator properties in ArcGIS Pro and uncheck the box 'Use Multithreading'.

mhoffman6
New Contributor III

Do we know if this has been fixed in 10.7x?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Matthew:

This issue has only been addressed in ArcGIS Pro with the new locators built with the Create Locator tool.

Do you need to use the locator in only ArcMap or also in ArcGIS Server?

If you have ArcGIS Server 10.7+ I would suggest creating the locator with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro and use ArcGIS Pro 2.4+ to publish the locator to ArcGIS Server. The service can be used in ArcMap, but the local version of the locator cannot.

-Shana

0 Kudos
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

That's great that its fixed in Pro, however Spillman can't currently consume those locators. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As a work around until Spillman upgrades, you could get a hold of some 10.3 locators; as I recall they were pretty bomb-proof when I was creating locators for Spillman...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

Shana, 

I am still working through this issue. I have tried the Create Locator tool and publishing the GeoCode Service to ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 , as we have not yet upgrade to 10.7. I am still not getting the numbered streets to correctly populate in ArcMap even. 

0 Kudos