Adding New Feature Class to SDE that is currently published to Web

01-11-2012 08:12 AM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III
I want to know if there is a way to add a NEW feature Class to an existing SDE Geodatabase that is published (so Arc Server has a lock on it) without having to turn off the web-service that is referencing that database.  I have tried creating the new feature class in a different version of the geodatabase but get an error telling me that the database is in use.  If I turn the web-service off, then I can create a new feature class.  Anybody have any ideas?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can certainly add a new *table* to an actively published database, but featureclasses are
geodatabase objects, and are subject to locking by Server (espcially when they participate in
a feature dataset).

While the term "versioning" can mean many things, in the context of ArcSDE it does not mean
what it would have to for "creating the new feature class in a different version of the geodatabase"
to work.  A versioned geodatabase is driven by a state tree.  All tables participate equally in the
state tree.  It is not possible to place a table in a different version from the rest of an instance,
because a "version" is only a named state, and all tables can participate in a single state.

What are you trying to accomplish by adding a new featureclass?  If you provide more details,
we may be able to provide better guidance.

- V
0 Kudos
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
Hi the same question i will ask to another way:

yes you are right: we can not add any feature classes with any other versioning as well as parent version when services are running..

But my intention is : we have publoshed the services to the SOM thourgh SDE GDB data. This is fine. But using Arc Catalog thorugh spatial database connections when we are trying to work any other feature datasets, trying to add feature classes, trying to editing data using arcmap, trying to work network dataset creation  and trying to add additinal reauirement fields etc,,,,,these all things we can not do because of the same sde gdb, publihsed services are running in server ( SOM).

1) so what would you suggest this how we can approach to work even services are runnning in server. is there any better option.

2) suppose we have published map service, geo code service, network analysis service etc,,,,,these all services are runing through .net WPF application. once running all these services we can not do any sde gdb works

3) if we stop the services all the runing services through application also gng to stop automatically. This is not correct way. so what would you suggest this cases. Please help me this. this is very importnat for us.

Regards
Jagadeesh
0 Kudos
BrigThomas
New Contributor III
Thanks Vince.  All I was trying to do was avoid turning off the services and then have to restart them to add features.  No Worries.

B
0 Kudos
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
Dear ESRI

Can anyone help my query please?

Regards
Jagadeesh
0 Kudos