Add Coded Value to Domain... Schema Lock

Jump to solution
09-09-2014 07:12 AM
DanielaPalacios
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I am developing  a web application for Cadastral Managment and I want to express a problem I am having when trying to add a coded value to a Domain.

I have a domain that stores the different projects my company may manage, they can be big projects or really small (quick) projects. The person using the web application must be able to add a new project to this domain using the web application and not ARCGIS for Desktop (some users will be non-arcgis users)

The domain is called "GP_Projects" and it stores projects in the following format ='N-PV-001 (code)  'ASP Project' (Description).

As the title says, I am having a problem with the Schema Lock which does not allow me to add this new coded value. I am using arcgis 10.2.2 and ArcGIS Server to connect to an SQL database

Please I would really appreciate your help on this matter as it is important for the application to allow adding new projects as needed and without having to do it manually trough Arcgis for Desktop.

Things I know:

- When I do it manually through arcgis it works (we cant have the users doing this or wasting time looking for someonte to do this.. the less they have to administrate arcgis, the better)

- I know that a solution would be to stop all the services, but as you may know this is not possible (or an option for the purposes of the application, as it is a multiuser app).

If there is no way to avoid these locks, can anyone suggest a different solution? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyOmmen
Esri Contributor

Hello Daniela,

Did you see this help topic which regards disabling schema locks on your map services via the ArcGIS Manager or Desktop? All map services acquire an exclusive lock on the dataset which appears to be your problem. Also, if you're using the Add Coded Value to Domain GP tool via a published service, you'll need provide an .sde connection with the data owner credentials since you're performing a schema change to the database. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Please post the exact error that you receive...

or do you receive the below error:

ERROR 000464: Cannot get exclusive schema lock. Either being edited or in use by another application.

Failed to execute (AddCodedValueToDomain).

AndyOmmen
Esri Contributor

Hello Daniela,

Did you see this help topic which regards disabling schema locks on your map services via the ArcGIS Manager or Desktop? All map services acquire an exclusive lock on the dataset which appears to be your problem. Also, if you're using the Add Coded Value to Domain GP tool via a published service, you'll need provide an .sde connection with the data owner credentials since you're performing a schema change to the database. I hope this helps.

DanielaPalacios
New Contributor II

Thank you verty much! I used another post on this forum plus checked all the map services I had available and It work.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos