A CAD file (.dxf) doesn't project right.

11-29-2017 04:45 AM
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

A CAD file (.dxf) was sent to me and I extracted it to a geodatabase (in my projection) but it shows up 420 Km west of where it should.  Is there a way to fix this?  Anything I do to project it results in no change.  I'm not sure what is going on.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hence the question... UTMs can be in feet or meters... which is it? the difference would throw it off into another zone potentially.

You have to define it what it is, not what you want it to be, so if the units are meters, that is what you have to use from the appropriate options for UTM zone 16.

You aren't converting anything BTW, those coordinates are projected already, and have to be defined as such first.

0 Kudos
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

I'm not familiar enough with how CAD works or handles projections.  I am not confident that it was properly provided to me in the manner I asked for.  The best I can do is create a graphic from it, move it to where I need it and use it as a guide to create a new file.  This is suitable for my needs.  Thanks

RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

Sounds like you are going to re-digitize the "graphic" and Create a new feature class? If you are giving up on defining your projection correctly then you should covert the DXF to a feature class then Georefernce the data in ArcMap instead. As a reference layer load a feature class that is in the projection that you want and contains lines or points that are shown in your CAD drawing. This could be a layer with Survey control points that are shown on your DXF or an airphoto of the area you are working with (e.g., has a road that is shown on your DXF).  

See details at for georeferencing:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Georeferencing_a_CAD_dataset/001000000...

As a side note, at ArcGIS 10.5.1/10.4.1 they changed how what data is allowed in a project file (.prj). In the past you could include comments in your PRJ file. Now if you have comments the prj file will not be read by ArcMap. Check your .prj that came with your DXF and remove any comments.

Rich

0 Kudos