17gb of aerial photos...now what?

Jump to solution
03-08-2014 11:51 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I am using ArcGIS for Desktop and Server 10.2.1 with SQL Server Express 2008 R2.

I have 17gb of GeoTiff Files (Aerial Photos). 54 separate tiled images.

What is the best way to manage this data for use in a Flex Map Viewer using ArcGIS for Server and using them in ArcGIS for Desktop?

1) Should I combine them into one huge file and then compress them into .sid files (MrSID)?

2) Should I put them into a File Geodatabase?

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NidhinKarthikeyan
I would suggest not to load the raster in your existing ArcSDE (SQL Server) database. It will surely affect the performance of the vector data. However you can create a new ArcSDE database and load the raster data. If you are not in an enterprise, then you can load the raster data in a File Geodatabase.

Take a look at this weblink:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t0000002z000000

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
I would suggest not to load the raster in your existing ArcSDE (SQL Server) database. It will surely affect the performance of the vector data. However you can create a new ArcSDE database and load the raster data. If you are not in an enterprise, then you can load the raster data in a File Geodatabase.

Take a look at this weblink:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t0000002z000000
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Would you recommend I display them as an Image Service? it appears this is what ESRI recommends. However, I do not have the Image Extension for ArcGIS Server. It is likely I will not get approval to buy it either. Plus, I am using SQL Server Express, which has a 10gb database size limit...I cannot get approval to buy the full version of SQL Server.

It sounds like my only option is to put the rasters in a File Geodatabase and display them in a Map Service from an MXD? What impact will this have on performance in terms of zoom in/zoom out, pan and refresh of the Map Service inside the Flex Viewer we use? I assume I would cache the map service?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
The only option available at your end, is to load the raster in File Geodatabase  and Cache it.
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Have you looked at the "Mosaic" toolset. The trend these days is to leave your imagery in its original format and location.
Then build a mosaic of it in file geodb or sde.
You can still make a service of it after that.
Cheers,
Neil
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Here's the process to serve the imagery as a map cache.

Create Mosaic Dataset in a file geodatabase
Add Imagery to Mosaic Dataset
Build Footprints
Define Overviews
Build Overviews

Build a cache of the mosaic
    Build a Cache tiling Scheme
    Build Tile Cache of the mosaic

Create a Map Service
      Create a geometry feature class of the extents of the imagery
      Create a map document with Mosaic Dataset Footprint Publish the Map Document to ArcGIS Server
      Copy the generated cache
Restart the Service

Good luck
Gordon
0 Kudos
NateArnold
Occasional Contributor

I was just running through the process described by Gordon and ran into an issue.  The solution is simple, but I wanted to post here for posterity

We're using AGS 10.3.1, and caches created at 10.3+ use V2 of the compact cache storage format, described here.  When I proceeded with the last step of copying the generated cache, I was simply copying all of the LOD folders inside the _alllayers folder.  This resulted in the map service not returning any tiles, and http traffic showed all requests were pending, waiting for available socket.

The solution is to make sure the conf.xml folder at the cache's root director has the 'V2' removed from its storage format element:

<CacheStorageInfo xsi:type='typens:CacheStorageInfo'>
  <StorageFormat>esriMapCacheStorageModeCompactV2</StorageFormat>
  <PacketSize>128</PacketSize>
</CacheStorageInfo>

It should be esriMapCacheStorageModeCompact for this to work.

0 Kudos