10.6 crashing during raster symbology changes

03-14-2019 07:09 AM
SiobhanMcDermott
New Contributor

I have a .mxd that I created in desktop 10.6.1. I am trying to change raster symbology and my document continually crashes. I have opened an .mxd created in 10.5 (with a similar raster whose symbology I had changed previous) this also crashes in 10.6.1. 

These rasters are .asc containing geophysical data exported from other software which is then georeferenced in Arc. I can geo reference fine. This problem also arises even when they have been imported into .gdb and I try to display from there.

Example below. 

Any thoughts? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Siobhan,

Thanks so much for including the data! I've been testing a bit with it and if I delete the world file, the ascii symbolizes without crashing, so maybe something went wrong with the georeferencing? Or the world file got corrupted somehow (though it looks fine to me)? Is it possible to try re-georeferencing and see if that clears up the issue?

Fingers crossed!

-Lauren

0 Kudos
SiobhanMcDermott
New Contributor

Hi Lauren,

thank-you for your quick reply.

Yes, deleted the world file and could change symbology but it started to crash again after geo-referencing. This issue was not occurring with 10.5 but now when I try to change the symbology of rasters geo-referenced in 10.5 using 106. they also crash. 

Is there a solution for this? Obviously I need to be able to change the symbology the rasters once I have geo-referenced them so I can visualize them in comparison with other data-sets. This is a vital part of our daily workflow. 

Thank-you,

Siobhán. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Siobhan,

I'm not sure, but my guess would be that something in the geo-referencing results makes ArcMap to go a little haywire when changing the symbology. To see if we could narrow down the culprit, here's a couple of things to try:

• Does the crash happen when the raster is georeferenced into a different spatial reference?
    • Does the crash happen with the raster is georeferenced with a different 
  • Does the crash happen when a different raster with a different extent, pixel size, etc, is georeferenced into the same spatial reference?

If that doesn't yield any results, is it possible for you to contact Esri Support Services? Or maybe others here in GeoNet have ideas about what's going on?

-Lauren

0 Kudos