10.1 - Cannot Rebuild a Address Locator with Alternate Name Table

07-03-2013 01:29 PM
NathanHuggins
New Contributor
Not sure if this is a known bug, but I am unable to rebuild an address locator that includes an alternate name table. I see the same behavior whether the locator (and associated data) is in a file geodatabase or in SDE. I found some similar posts regarding this issue, but those users were using version 10.0 and most solutions pointed to an upcoming service pack or version 10.1. Here are some details:

(Windows 7, ArcGIS 10.1 - SP1) I have a file geodatabase with a street centerline file and an alternate name table. I can successfully build a address locator. It builds without errors and correctly functions. However whenever I go to rebuild it always states that the locator must be repaired first, even though the data has not moved. In fact I can successfully build a locator and immediately try to rebuild it and receive the error message that it must be repaired first. I go into the properties dialog and see some odd things. For instance the Primary Table:Feature ID appears blank although I am sure I did assign it during creation. I also see the Alternate Name Table Fields twice.  See attached screenshot. I can click OK to the dialog box and then go to properties again and all parameters will be grayed out and this time appear correctly. Sometimes after going through this process it will then allow me to rebuild it, but not consistently.

I have a script that updates the locators, and don't want to have to build new locators as I have tweaked some of the geocoding options that can't be set through python. I have had the same issue with both US Dual Range & Single House styles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Or if someone can confirm that this is actually a bug.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ToddLusk
New Contributor III
Did you ever figure anything out with this?  We're having the exactly same issue and haven't been able to track down the cause.
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
Is it so hard to just build a new locator? I save the results into a script and then add a delete in front. Then I just recreate from scratch. It only takes a few minutes. I find that very small changes sabotage a rebuild such as renaming the locator version.
0 Kudos
ToddLusk
New Contributor III
Apparently this is a known bug (NIM072116) since 10.0 SP2, but there is a workaround:  http://support.esri.com/es/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/41893
0 Kudos