1:Many Join, Joining Excel Spreadsheet, Populate Arcmap using Multiple Rows

Jump to solution
12-29-2017 11:05 AM
MarcBartley2
New Contributor II

Joining ArcMap table and an Excel table.  I have searched through here and can not seem to find my specific issue.  I am trying to join ArcMap 10.5.1 polygon features with unique tract IDs to an excel spreadsheet where each tract ID has multiple entries. 

IE: Tract Polygon 001-001 in Arcmap

In the Excel Spreadsheet it will have Tract 001-001 ........................lots of other information in the row

Tract 001-001 ........................Lots of info in the row

Tract 001-001........................  Lots of info etc etc.

I tried making multiple polygons (copy and paste) to create the same number of rows in ArcMAP as in Excel, but it still only grabs the first row from the excel spreadsheet and populates the entire ArcMAP spreasheet with it.  I tried importing the table into arcmap geodatabase, that cause issues with the column names and ArcMap putting a . in the headers so it won't join.  I have tried an access database and joining, that still only grabbed the first row.  A relate works, but I can not symbolize off a relate to the items in the Excel table like I need to do. 

Any ideas?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is no support for one to many joins unless the inputs are both in the same geodatabase. If you put the feature class and table in the same file geodatabase, you can accomplish this using the Make Query Table tool. 

Make Query Table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is no support for one to many joins unless the inputs are both in the same geodatabase. If you put the feature class and table in the same file geodatabase, you can accomplish this using the Make Query Table tool. 

Make Query Table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

MarcBartley2
New Contributor II

I found an answer on GISStackExchange.  I had to import the Excel table into the same geodatabase as the parcel feature class, do a normal join, and then export to the same geodatabase.  It created new rows for the many variables in the excel spreadsheet.