Toggle viewing of domain coded and description values in attribute table

07-09-2014 12:26 PM
Labels (1)
TylerBurg
New Contributor II

Much like the attribute table-> options-> show field aliases toggle, it would be helpful to be able to switch between viewing the description domain values (values displayed in attribute table) and the coded domain values (used for scripting in ArcPy).

3 Comments
DuncanHornby
I like this idea as sometimes I want to see the actual value stored. But if they do add this as a new option I think there should be some sort of visual flag indicating that the field has a domain but is not showing its description.
JurajKrumpolec
Great ideas - both - the toggle for domains and their visual indication.

Besides more other visual helpers and indicators in attribute table are needed for better and fast visual comprehension of displayed data, as for example:
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Already Offered

Thanks for the Idea!

In regard to the original Idea suggested in this post, both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro allow users to toggle between seeing the coded value and coded description.

In ArcGIS Pro, navigate to the attribute table of the feature class of interest and select the menu icon in the upper right corner.  There, you will see the 'See Domain and Subtype Description' option checked by default. Unchecking this option will allow the coded values to be displayed in the attribute table. 

In ArcMap, navigate to the attribute table of the feature class of interest and select the table options icon in the upper left corner. Click into the 'Appearances' option.  There, you we see the 'See Domain Description' option checked by default. Unchecking this option will allow the coded values to be displayed in the attribute table.

A few additional comments have been added to thread and we welcome additional ideas.  To show support for additional formatting options, we recommend commenting and adding kudos to the specific idea. I've included an updated link to show your support.

Conditional Formatting in Attribute table:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/conditional-formatting-in-attribute-table/idi-p/92989...