Select which annotation class rotates with data frame

06-10-2013 12:53 PM
Labels (1)
KariBuckvold
Occasional Contributor

Perhaps there is already a solution to this though I was not able to find one.  If anyone knows, please feel free to let me know 🙂

I am looking for a way to select which annotation classes should rotate and which should not when the data frame is rotated.

Here is the scenario: I am creating a roadway annotation feature class that has 4 different annotation classes: 3 have a shield as a label (Interstate, US Highway and State Highway) and 1 has plain Arial text (Major Roads).  I have selected "Rotate labels with data frame rotation" on the "AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe" within the Utilities.  When the data frame is rotated, the shield symbols rotate nicely but so do the Major Road labels.  It's annoying because right now, I feel like I have to choose which labels I have to settle for rotating, the shields or the plain text.

Perhaps there can be an option when setting the properties in ArcCatalog for the annotation classes and specify whether or not that annotation class should rotate.

Attached is a screen shot sample of the annotation with the Major Road names undesirably rotated 90 from the roadway.

0EME0000000Te2N

3 Comments
TimLangner
Thre is the following ESRI knowledge base article:
http://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/24812

Slight problem in that it is VBA only. Fine if your still running ArcMap 10 or lower. Would have been good if they had updated it to Python or VBS.
TimLangner
If using ArcGIS 10.1 or above, the following may do the job better:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s800000037000000

However can't be certain of that as I currently can't run anything above ArcGIS 10 due to other legancy software.
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

This idea has been closed as a duplicate of the ArcGIS Pro Idea linked below. Don't worry, you can still show your support by commenting and adding kudos to the open idea. Thanks for your contributions!

Link to open, duplicate Idea