Provide older versions of ST_GEOMETRY .dll in My Esri downloads

04-20-2023 10:07 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

If I understand correctly, only the latest version of the ST_GEOMETRY .dll is available in My Esri downloads.

For example, the version of ST_GEOMETRY for Oracle isn't compatible with older versions of Oracle such as 18c:

The database version is not supported. Error: Oracle version 18.0.0.0.0 not supported.
See the setup log in the following location for additional error information:
Could not setup Esri spatial type.
Failed to execute (CreateSpatialType).

Could older versions of ST_GEOMETRY be made available in My Esri?

Thanks.

15 Comments
RaymondHuang_Sg

Not sure if the error is due to the minor version number, but the ArcGIS Desktop website states the supported Oracle 18c (64 bit) version to be 18.3.0.0.0, 18.4.0.0.0. Any chance for you to upgrade to release update 3 or 4 to try?

We usually get the ST_GEOMETRY.dll file from the ArcGIS Desktop installation directory's database support folder. May I ask if you have access to the v10.6 or v10.6.1 ArcGIS Desktop installer from My Esri software downloads? That may be the version that supports earlier Oracle db versions.

Bud
by

@RaymondHuang_Sg 

Regarding:

We usually get the ST_GEOMETRY.dll file from the ArcGIS Desktop installation directory's database support folder.

I was able to download ArcMap 10.7.1 (since I know from a different ArcGIS environment that ArcMap 10.7.1 and Oracle 18c coincided) and I retrieved the ST_GEOMETRY .dll from the installation directory's database support folder.

But unfortunately, I still get the same error from the Create Spatial Type GP tool:

Bud_0-1682067098826.png

The database version is not supported. [Success] Error: Oracle version 18.0.0.0.0 not supported.
See the setup log in the following location for additional error information:
Could not setup Esri spatial type.
Failed to execute (CreateSpatialType).

I also tried using an old ST_GEOMETRY .dll from an old ArcMap 10.7 installation (2016). But I got the same error with it too.

Regarding:

Not sure if the error is due to the minor version number, but the ArcGIS Desktop website states the supported Oracle 18c (64 bit) version to be 18.3.0.0.0, 18.4.0.0.0. Any chance for you to upgrade to release update 3 or 4 to try?

I'm going to look into that. But I suspect Oracle XE isn't upgradable.

Thanks for your help.

Bud
by

The only other XE version I can find is Oracle XE 21.3.0.0.0

But it doesn't seem to be supported by ArcGIS:

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7

Standard/Standard One/Enterprise Editions:

Oracle11g R2 (64 bit) 11.2.0.4

Standard 2 (SE2)/Enterprise (EE) Editions:

Oracle12c R1 (64 bit) 12.1.0.2
Oracle12c R2 (64 bit) 12.2.0.1
Oracle18c (64 bit) 18.3.0.0, 18.4.0.0
Oracle19c (64 bit) 19.3.0.0

So I think I'm out of luck.

VaibhavS

What is the error message found in the setup log? That could provide us with more details.

Bud
by

@VaibhavS Could you explain what you mean by the setup log?

Thanks.

MarceloMarques

You shall be able to create the Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository in your Oracle XE PDB, I never tried myself with Oracle XE because I know the limitations of Oracle XE, even if you manage to create the geodatabase under Oracle XE then the geodatabase might not work as expected, note, you need the st_geometry library only if you plan to run SQL Queries with st_geometry functions, otherwise the geodatabase will continue to work fine without the st_geometry library, an alternative to this is use Oracle SDO to store the data with your Oracle Geodatabase and use SDO functions with SQL, the st_geometry library is compiled for Oracle Standard and Enterprise Editions, thus even if you have the correct version of the st_geometry library that matches your Oracle XE version, the st_geometry library might not work with Oracle XE, I suggest you to install Oracle Standard Edition or Oracle Enterprise Edition, also consider to use Oracle 19c because Oracle 18c (Innovation Release) is deprecated now, and Oracle 21c ( the new Innovation Release) has a very short life spam and short patch cycle, the long term release with a long patch cycle is still 19c.

Release Schedule of Current Database Releases (Doc ID 742060.1)

MarceloMarques_1-1682093990770.png

Oracle Database (RDBMS) Releases Support Status Summary (Doc ID 161818.1)

MarceloMarques_2-1682094084276.png

Esri System Requirements for Oracle:

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7—System Requirements ...

ArcGIS 11.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.1 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentati...

I hope this helps you.

Bud
by

Thanks @MarceloMarques.

For what it's worth, I was able to use ST_Geometry in an Oracle XE database back in 2017 on an old computer: 

MarceloMarques

@Bud - Thanks for sharing the links above.

Bud
by

I queried a different production environment that works with ST_GEOMETRY:

• Oracle 18c
  • 10.7.1 enterprise geodatabase
  • Full ST_Geometry library is available (not just the spatial type)

Bud_0-1682095894082.png

But I don't really know what I'm looking at in the result of that query. It mostly mentions 18.0.0.0.0. But does mention 18.3.0.0.0 in one spot.

I wonder what we can learn from that. In that environment, is ArcGIS Pro treating the database as 18.0.0.0.0 or as 18.3.0.0.0? If it's treating the database as 18.0.0.0.0, I wonder why my organization was able to create the spatial type in that environment, but I can't do it in my 18.0.0.0.0 XE environment?

VaibhavS

@Bud 

In the error message, there's a path that can be used to check the setup log file. 

VaibhavS_0-1682422455818.png

I believe we can obtain additional information regarding the error message from the log file.