Multiple Coded Values per Record

05-10-2012 12:18 AM
Labels (1)
SimonTrinder1
New Contributor II

I would like the ability to choose multiple values from a Domain and assign to a field. ie. Apples, pear, Oranges

Field name =  Contents
Domain Name  =  Fruit
Coded Values =Apples(A), Orange (O), Pears(P), Strawberry(S).

I would like to be ableto choose one or a combination of the values Apples or Apples & Oranges or Apples & Oranges & Pears etc.

So instead of a drop down, when editing the field, there is a check list where I could choose mutiple values.

16 Comments
TikaAdhikari

I want multiselect option in the database. For example, example under the fruit attributes, I would like to include all fruits I eat every day. Same as in your example, money/payment is the attribute, I would like to pay with credit card and debit card with for 100 bill. 

TikaAdhikari

It is not and it is entirely different and it is not hosted feature service.

KoryKramer

Thank you for the response.  So from a coded value domain, you would like to be able to select multiple, correct?

And you're not working with a hosted feature service.  You're working in a geodatabase, correct?

TikaAdhikari

Yes, it is not for hosted feature service to be clarify in a much better way. 

TikaAdhikari

The issue is enterprise or file geodatabase if I have to separate the domain of the problem. But it has other applications value 

Bud
by

Interesting idea. The underlying data could be stored in a related table (1:M). But the multiple values could be chosen and displayed in the main attribute table/field. That would be easier to view & edit when compared with navigating to a related table.

Alternatively, the multiple values could be stored in an XML column, which would be queryable via SQL in enterprise geodatabases (not sure about mobile geodatabases).

There are probably other ways to do it, such as a comma-delimited field, as mentioned in a comment above. The values could be automatically sorted in alphabetical order upon entry.

Related: Automatically select related records