ArcGIS Diagrammer Functionality for ArcGIS Desktop 10.3

01-13-2015 03:36 PM
Labels (1)
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

The current 10.2 release of ArcGIS Diagrammer does not work with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 and will be the final Diagrammer release according to the link here.

ArcGIS Diagrmmer functionality is needed for ArcGIS Desktop 10.3. 

Tags (2)
27 Comments
KathrynCliftonGIS
Diagrammer was an essential from the day it was released.  Please bring it back!!!
KellyPerry
I've been told to forget about Diagrammer and to just use X-Ray.  X-Ray doesn't come close to what I loved about Diagrammer.  Please bring back Diagrammer!
RobertWright1

I usually have to export out the existing schema as an XML workspace document, then edit the schema with XML Notepad. This works for simple changes, like spelling mistakes, or order changes, but not for complicated modifications. We have purchased outside software to help us print our data dictionary, and copy paste in to Visio to get the diagrams organized.

It would be nice if this was built into an ESRI product, instead of purchasing outside software to do it. 

RayKurtiak

Yes!  Diagrammer functions need to be updated to 10.4.x  Valuable tool for any GDB admin!!

DanGriffin

Having the same issue.  What tool did you purchase for printing out the data dictionary? 

RobertWright1

Hi Dan,

We are using a program called Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems.  A company out of Australia. The license level is a professional edition but single use.  I am the only one in our organization that deals with schema changes in our enterprise geodatabases.  It works well, but has a bit of a learning curve.  For a data dictionary, it has a report writer that works well if you tweak the code a bit. (provides too much info about your data)  I still use Visio to diagram the data structure though.

AngeloCirocco2

datamodel #gdb tools

With the loss of XRay for use with ArcGIS Pro and the introduction of some of the new data modeling extensions like Utility Network Extension.  The lack of tooling in ArcGIS to at least create/export a reference document of the data model for people outside the GIS/ICT space to validate is quite frustrating. 

Esri have done an excelent job in ArcGIS Pro for updateing schema using the Design dialogs and tools, but exporting the information to an HTML document or Visio would be a fanstatic Add-in to have (something like the old ArcGIS Diagrammer)      

Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems is an option, but a little hard to justify the costs (of both licensing and ICT support) just to export the data model to a human readable form. ‌