ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
New Contributor II

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
RobertBorchert

This idea is now listed as Under Consideration.  I don't know how long it has been listed as such.  However, I was told by a ESRI rep at a conference that if they move it to Under Consideration then that means they are going to do it if they can.

by Anonymous User

Dawg don't get your hopes up - it's been under consideration since summer 2011 lol.

JohnDye

SIX YEARS AGO this idea was submitted and it's got over 28,000 points. Do we need to start a Change.org petition or what?!

RobertBorchert

I was at the International conference in the early 2000's.  Jack D was doing the plenary session and was talking about the next release of ArcGIS coming out was going to focus mainly on improving existing features and tools based on user input.  I think it was the version in which Maplex was introduced.

I really think they need to do that again.  There are hundreds of little user suggested improvements to existing tools and functions that they could focus on to make the use of ArcGIS a better experience. 

PaulCone

I was at the UC last week. At the closing session, Jack said, “I think by next summer most of you will be running on Pro.” Pro lets you do this. Even though they’re very clear they’ll be supporting Desktop for a while, I seriously doubt they are going to put the effort into retrofitting it for this feature. I’m guessing it would be a major code change.

TedChapin

Are you sure Pro can do this? I disagree.  Can you link to some documentation?

JoshWhite

I'm not that impressed with Pro.  I won't be using it by next summer unless something happens to Desktop. 

PaulCone

I can't find it documented, but I just tried it in 1.2, and it works.

TedChapin

But just for display in that project right?  Can you verify separately in ArcCatalog or another Pro project that the fields were permanently reordered?

PaulCone

It appears that it does not reorder the fields in the underlying database.