ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
New Contributor II

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
TonyStrothers1
This is just idiotic that reordering isn't allowed. I'm having to rebuild multiple tables and feature classes because of this Esri shortcoming. It's simple, allow it at the admin level. SIMPLE!!!! But as usual Esri does what Esri wants and it takes thousands to get a simple change completed. But Esri will continue to promise us so many amazing things at each UC and we'll finally see part of it 3 years later. I'm sorry for ranting but this is ridiculous. I'm really mad about it.
TonyStrothers1
Amazing ... I just noticed this thread was 3 years old. Stupidity is a good word to describe this whole thing.
CarlosFortich
I don’t think that this functionality has been added because, as I understand it, in ArcMap for example, you’re not manipulating “the” feature class but a temp/in memory representation of it. 

Fairly easy work around:
Export the schema (not data) of the FC to a XML Workspace document.  Use an XML editor to Edit change the field names, reorder and/or insert new fields.  I then import the schema, load it with code or the simple feature loader.

You can download a variety of free editors (XML Notepad).
GarrettMoeller
Yes - and be able to permanently change the order even if tied to a SDE GDB (not just saved under an mxd or layer) - to actually change the order of fields inside of the SDE GDB by using the up and down arrows inside of the 'Field' tab of 'Properties'
wilfredwaters
This just means people are using ArcGIS to manage data, which they shouldn't be doing. 
JoelDaroussin
I too highly support these very basic fonctionality. Any object, including fields, should have theyr constructors, descructors and management capabilities.

It seems to me legitimate to find all these capabilities within the ArcCatalog > Dataset Properties > Fields interface (e.g. arrows to reorder fields, etc.) as well as tools such as, for example, ArcToolbox > Data management > Fields > Rename or ArcToolbox > Data management > Tables > Reorder fields.
ElisabethSmith
"It seems to me legitimate to find all these capabilities within the ArcCatalog > Dataset Properties > Fields interface (e.g. arrows to reorder fields, etc.) as well as tools such as, for example, ArcToolbox > Data management > Fields > Rename or ArcToolbox > Data management > Tables > Reorder fields."

I second this opinion!  

To wwaters - Managing data has to be done in GIS sometimes.  They need to realize it.
jenifferhomes
It seems to me legitimate to find all these capabilities within the ArcCatalog > Dataset Properties > Fields interface (e.g. arrows to reorder fields, etc.) as well as tools such as, for example, ArcToolbox > Data management > Fields > Rename or ArcToolbox > Data management > Tables > Reorder fields. Please allow this functionality ESRI!  We have replicas set up that must be unregistered and re-registered when we have to re-create a feature class or table because we want to add a new field in the middle of it.
TimMinter
This has been a publicy and frequently requested capability since at least 2002, so we've stuck our thumbs up it for over a decade now.  I seem to recall wanting to do it myself back before the turn of the century.  I continue to want it and am publicly standing here with you all with my thumbs up for it (still).  Hopefully the "well, there was this early ArcGIS design decision..." argument has evaporated in the mists of time and ArcGIS 10.3 will be the release that indicates that our message has been heard.
RachelS
Along with reordering we should be able to change the field properties e.g. from numeric to string, without the rigmarole of creating a new field different name , populatingthe field, deleting the old field, then creating a new field of the old name and repopulating. Just allow the structure to be changed.