ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
New Contributor II

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
NoelPerkins3

After 9 years I think we can move this out of the 'under consideration' column and into the 'not gonna do it' column.

KassandraRodriguez

I think you need some faith that they will eventually do it! /s

RDHarles

Ha! Unfortunately Noel is incorrect.  It hasn't been 9 years, IT'S BEEN AT LEAST 15 YEARS!  (See my post above).

KassandraRodriguez

Realllly doesn't Jack Dangermond ever need to reorder fields?? Does he even use his own products 

MattWilkie1

19 to 20, since ArcMap v8.

DavidWheelock

That's otherwise classified as "Not in product plan". 

CattyannCampbell

I voted this up like 10 years ago given that ArcGIS Desktop is getting little love these days i.e. slated to be retired by ESRI at some point in the near future I doubt we'll ever see this feature. 

JohannaPrüssmann

But it should be implemented in ArcGIS Pro then, if they want to have more users taking the leap.

JohannaPrüssmann

I was able to accomplish reordering fields on a shapefile using a QGIS geoprocession tools called "Refactor Fields".

More information here: 

spatial etl - Permanently reorder fields in data (shp, gdb) - Geographic Information Systems Stack E... 

curtvprice

The reason Esri has not supported this is because users expect all tables to support such a tool - not just shapefile and gdb. Esri supports many database formats and client server setups.

XTools Pro has a nice Table Restructure tool that works on file-based data.