ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
New Contributor II

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
MattBrady
This should at a minimum be possible in Catalog feature class properties with arrow buttons, but in the year 2015, this really ought to be drag-and-drop functional.  Seems long overdue.
AlexPosthuma
Absolutely, a great idea.
Not just at creation, but also when wanting to redisgn the FC table field order

RayeleneBrown
Really need this ability now that ArcGIS Diagrammer (which I used as a work around to reorder fields) no longer works with ArcGIS 10.3 installed.
GideonSimons
My definite vote - extremely useful tool particularly when other editors may have deleted specific fields you actually required. The manual process to fit them in again would involve re-creation and re-loading, yet with this you could simply add fields and then re-order.
AdminFernie
this is crazy that you cannot reorder fields!
by Anonymous User

I also support this Idea - but as a working solution I use the FieldMappings() function in ArcPy to rearrange my fields in a copied feature class.

Here's the link to the script. ​Feel free to send me a message if you're having trouble getting the script to run.

Just change the following values to fit your setup - then you can adjust the field names and values accordingly.

1) arcpy.env.workspace

2) input_fpath

3) output_fname

ChrisRumig

If I have to re-order fields, I use X-Ray for ArcCatalog.

Chris Rumig | GIS Analyst – Information Technology Services | Region of Waterloo

150 Frederick St, 5th Floor | Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3 | • 519.575.4830 | • mailto:crumig@regionofwaterloo.ca |7 519.575.4562 | www.regionofwaterloo.ca

Confidentiality Notice: This email correspondence (including any attachments) may contain information which is confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) listed above. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or have otherwise received this message by mistake, please notify the sender by replying via email, and destroy all copies of this original correspondence (including any attachments). Thank you for your cooperation.

RobertBorchert

This is one of several main reasons why I only use Personal Geodatabase for ArcGIS.  I open the database in MS Access and re-order the fields there.

DanSaul3

I use the Table Restructure Tool in the XTools Pro extension to accomplish table reordering and other schema updates. Not to excuse Esri from including this functionality in the base ArcGIS product but they do create an opportunity for third party developers to make a living.

RobertBorchert

Didn't we have the ability to reorder fields in ArcCatalog back in the 9.# days