Select to view content in your preferred language

How does the DLT use the shape_operations.py file.... I would like to create custom shape operations?

07-20-2023 03:28 PM
BeauCrawford
New Contributor

How does the DLT use the shape_operations.py file? I would like to create custom shape operation functions in the script and apply them during the execute data load tool process.

7 Replies
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

That's not available when running Execute Data Load at the moment. It's something that didn't get fully implemented and it's blocked with validation logic. I'm curious how you wanted to use it though. Could give us reason to revisit.

BeauCrawford
New Contributor

It would be very useful when migrating CAD when going from CAD Lines (circles, or closed polygon) need to be converted to points or polygons. Could be used for many geometry to geometry conversions along with some SQL queries. Also I am trying to replace an FME workbench that does this.

TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Thanks @BeauCrawford we are considering this for a future release.

BogdanHristozov
New Contributor III

Having the possibility to transform geometries while loading the data will be great. We are now migrating our data from geometric network to the electric utility network model. The electric stations in our source model are represented as point features and we are migrating them to StructureBoundary class in the UN model. I've created a separate script that converts the geometries to polygons, but this adds additional complexity as it has to be run separately from the data loading tools.

TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Shape manipulation, as we have been calling it, will be available in Data Loading toolset in Pro 3.3

PaigeRichardson
New Contributor II

Are there any plans to make this available in previous releases? We were planning to migrate later this year and land on 11.1 (due to integration version dependencies), but were initially planning to utilize this toolbox heavily for the migration (including shape_operations.py). Not sure why they even had the shape_operations.py script created if it was never intended to be implemented on execute data load.

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

No plans to backport. For a time it was exposed for use in the Append with Transformation tool in early versions of DLT.

0 Kudos