Select to view content in your preferred language

Data Loading Tools is now included with ArcGIS Pro - 3.2 and Beyond

11-15-2023 03:30 AM
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Starting with ArcGIS Pro 3.2, the Data Loading Tools are now included with ArcGIS Pro. You no longer must clone your python environment and install the tools via Anaconda.  The tools are available in the Data Management Tools toolbox, under the Data Loading Tools toolset.

MikeMillerGIS_0-1700047645708.png

As we moved the tools into ArcGIS Pro, we made some modifications that are highlighted below:

Create Data Loading Workspace

Only the names of the parameters have changed.  No other tool changes.  There have been changes to the Data Loading Workspace, which are noted below.

Generate Predefined Mapping Table

This tool has been renamed to Generate Mapping Table and the names of the parameters have changed. 

Execute Data Load

This tool has been renamed to Load Data Using Workspace.  The names of the parameters have changed and the Preview option has been removed and replaced with Load Data to Preview tool.

Update Data Loading Workspace Schema

Only the names of the parameters have changed. 

Data Loading Workspace – Data Reference workbook

The DataPath worksheet has been removed.  The full paths are now used in the SourceTargetMapping worksheet

Data Loading Workspace – Mapping workbook

The help image has been removed from the -Info- sheet.  The yellow schema tabs have redesigned to follow the look and feel of the workbook generated with the Generate Schema Report tool.  They also now have a dash(-) in their names.

Data Loading Workspace – Domain workbook

All the domain, as well as the TOC sheet, in this workbook have also been reformatted to make the look and feel of the results from the Generate Schema Report tool.

Append with Transformation

Append with Transformation was removed due to some overlap with future plans for Append GP tool. We did not want to add it into Pro only to retire it soon after. However, the underlying logic for Append with Transformation is still there. Attached is a toolbox that works with ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and greater that provides the Append with Transformation GP Tool.

We are excited, and hope you are too, that these tools are now part of ArcGIS Pro out of the box and no longer require you creating a python clone.  This will speed up the time to use these tool and remove the complications with managing a cloned python environment.

Mike

ArcGIS Solutions

14 Replies
DETCOG_GIS
New Contributor II

That's awesome about the mainstreaming of the Data Loading Workspace related tools from DLT! 

However, what about the Append with Transformation tool, it appears to be missing from your description and from the ArcPro 3.2 documentation?  I at least personally have found that to be an extremely useful tool.  There are plenty of situations that are either one-off or just a single feature class to feature class scenario and so really don't warrant the time and complexity of creating an entire Data Loading Workspace, having to open and edit everything in Excel, and then return to pro.  However, those same scenarios sometimes have field mappings that aren't able to be handled by the traditional Append GP tool.  It's extremely convenient to be able to use simple python expressions (or even more complex with the code block section), to do more complex field mapping.  For example, if an input dataset has values North, Northwest, Northeast, East, South, Southwest, etc..., it's really handy to be able to write a basic expression that replaces those to the appropriate N, NW, NE, E, etc... when appending into a field of field length 2 for example.  There's not a way to do the same with the append tool that I know of without jumping through a whole lot of hoops or changing the schema of the target dataset at least temporarily (which of course defeats the purpose or isn't always an option).

So, I'm just wondering if there's any plans for maintaining the Append with Transformation tool?  If not, I need to know because it'd take some time to coming up with some alternatives for our internal workflows that currently rely on it.

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Append with Transformation was removed due to some overlap with future plans for Append GP tool. We did not want to add it into Pro only to retire it soon after. However, the underlying logic for Append with Transformation is still there. We will consider sharing an atbx toolbox so folks can use the tool if needed in Pro 3.2.

MikeMillerGIS

Sorry, I missed noting this in the original post.  I updated with Ted's response.

DETCOG_GIS
New Contributor II

Thank you!  That's great to hear the functionality is being migrated into the Append GP tool in the future and it definitely makes sense then not to add and retire a new tool.  That said, YES PLEASE to sharing a toolbox in the meantime so we can maintain Append with Transformation functionality until then!

Thanks again for the reply!

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

Looks like 'Stage Utility Network' is now 'Create Utility Network' and has some slight changes?

Also, where did 'Apply Asset Package' go? Not seeing that tool or a replacement. Help!

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

untools are still in the clone environment, with 3.2.0 you have to upgrade the existing clone and then install in the clone again.

0 Kudos
MatteoMagnani_WT
New Contributor II

Goodmorning,

We recently updated our AGP version to 3.2.

We unfortunately discovered that the tool Append with Transformation is no longer available. You plan to insert in the future the functionality of this tool in the Append GP tool, but we need this functionality now, because we use it in a stable Python workflow that we have built.

You have created a big inconvenience for us. Is it possible to have Append with Transformation in a atbx toolbox, as you propose?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
MikeMillerGIS

I added the toolbox to the first post with the Append with Transformation tool.  Please let us know if this supports your workflow and fills the gap until these capabilities are in ArcGIS Pro's Append tool.

Isaac_King
New Contributor III

I am thrilled to see this toolbox available with a standard deployment of Pro!

I am just starting to use these tools again after a ~2 year hiatus. I'm a little bummed to see the commodity-specific post processing tools are no longer included. Can you share why they were dropped? Any chance those are still available as part of another toolbox?

0 Kudos