Initial Dashboard Load shows "No Data"

06-02-2020 11:41 AM
ChloeHoke
New Contributor II

Using ArcGIS Dashboard (Beta). When the dashboard opens on the initial load, many of the widgets show "No Data". Once filters are applied, the data populates correctly. Once filters are returned to "All" (the `None` option), the data displays fully populated as expected. 

8 Replies
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Can you create this same Dashboard in production (not the beta) and then open that dashboard in the beta (without saving) and let us know if the same dashboard is working differently in the beta?

1 - Create a dashboard using https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard

2 - Open that dashboard with https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards

Are they working the same way or do the elements only show 'No data' when opening the dashboard with the beta?

0 Kudos
ChloeHoke
New Contributor II

Hi John - thanks for the quick reply!

I followed your suggested workflow and looked at a dashboard created in the original version and viewed it in beta. 

• In the original `opsdashboard` version, all widgets displayed normally.
  • In the beta `dashboards` version, the "No Data" displays showed up again.
    • Sometimes the beta version loads fine with no issues, sometimes the "No Data" shows up. I can't identify any consistency or repeatability in which widgets show "No Data".
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Chloe Hoke

That is strange. If you're able to sanitize a dashboard and share it here, that could be helpful. Otherwise I am not sure why you are seeing an intermittent 'no data.' issue. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issue - we are using a sql query as the underlying data.

The initial load of the dashboard:

As soon as I click the type filter (or any other filter) all the widgets load:

0 Kudos
RyanStadlman
New Contributor

I am also experiencing the same issue when configuring multiple "Category Selector" filters.  This was confirmed with ESRI support after opening up a support case with them.  They suggested I post my finding here.

"This is Nataly from ESRI Technical Support Services. Considering what we discussed yesterday, I was running different tests using my data and I was able to reproduce the same behavior when I configure multiple 'Category Selector' filters to the Side Panel in ArcGIS Dashboard Beta. 

Just like your data, occasionally, when I open the dashboard I created or even when other users open the dashboard (in any browser), the message 'No Data' is displayed on the other elements (see the example below). This is the URL of my service so you can try it as well: https://ess.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/e7219da97ecb48f6b77dd56a821b09b6

After performing these tests, I noticed that there is no pattern to the data showing up or not. It doesn't depend on the elements or the filters, it's very random, as you mentioned. "

0 Kudos
JohnSolly4
Esri Contributor

Ryan Stadlman‌,

Thank you so much for digging into this. I was able to reproduce the issue on my side. The good news is that this issue is fixed on our internal build and will be fixed next time the Beta is released (Date TBD)...but we would like to release again this year.

Thank you all for reporting this and helping us get to the bottom of it.

-John

ChaimSchwartz
New Contributor II

Did anyone come up with a workaround for this by any chance...?

0 Kudos
JShi_EsriStaff
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for the inquiry. We have not found a straightforward workaround yet. This issue will be addressed in the next update of Dashboards Beta, which is currently planning to be released by the beginning of 2021.

Regards, 

Julia