Hospital, Isolation & Quarantine beds

Jump to solution
05-11-2020 03:30 AM
Dr_Ajay_KumarSingh
New Contributor

I suppose the CHIME models runs on the data of patients hospitalized (having inpatient care and treatment) and that gives the projection of new hospitalizations along with hospital census. I am having little confusion and mixing up hospital beds with Isolation and Quarantine beds. Some information on this will be appreciated.  

In case I want to plan or do projection of Isolation/Quarantine beds census as well, is it possible to do it through this model or this is only meant for hospital bed census (inpatient care)? 

Further to add on this regarding the SIR column received in the Hospital Census Data in CHIME model. Is the Infected people indicate the number of total beds (Isolation, Quarantine, Hospital) required on the particular date mentioned.    

Please suggest

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LynneBuie
Esri Contributor

Hi Dr Ajay Kumar Singh,

The tool does not explicitly project Isolation/Quarantine beds, but you can still do this in one of two ways. Either you can use one of the hospitalization, ventilator, or ICU outputs to represent your Isolation/Quarantine beds. For example, if I want the ventilator outputs to represent the Isolation/Quarantine beds instead, I would adjust the Ventilated % (Total Infections), the Average Days on Ventilator and the Total Ventilator Capacity to reflect the values for Isolation/Quarantine beds. The output fields in the feature classes and charts will still say ventilator, but you could fix this by creating new fields with Isolation/Quarantine in the name. The second option is to keep using the tool with hospitalization, ventilator, and ICU numbers, but to define a ratio of hospitalized patients to Isolation/Quarantine patients and use this ratio to calculate an Isolation/Quarantine field from the hospitalization fields in the output feature class.

The infected people is not the number of total beds. This is the total number in the whole population that are infected with COVID-19 on a particular day, including those that are not hospitalized. A percentage of those infected will be hospitalized each day, at a rate defined by the value you use in the Hospitalization % (Total Infections) parameter.

I hope this helps,

Lynne

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LynneBuie
Esri Contributor

Hi Dr Ajay Kumar Singh,

The tool does not explicitly project Isolation/Quarantine beds, but you can still do this in one of two ways. Either you can use one of the hospitalization, ventilator, or ICU outputs to represent your Isolation/Quarantine beds. For example, if I want the ventilator outputs to represent the Isolation/Quarantine beds instead, I would adjust the Ventilated % (Total Infections), the Average Days on Ventilator and the Total Ventilator Capacity to reflect the values for Isolation/Quarantine beds. The output fields in the feature classes and charts will still say ventilator, but you could fix this by creating new fields with Isolation/Quarantine in the name. The second option is to keep using the tool with hospitalization, ventilator, and ICU numbers, but to define a ratio of hospitalized patients to Isolation/Quarantine patients and use this ratio to calculate an Isolation/Quarantine field from the hospitalization fields in the output feature class.

The infected people is not the number of total beds. This is the total number in the whole population that are infected with COVID-19 on a particular day, including those that are not hospitalized. A percentage of those infected will be hospitalized each day, at a rate defined by the value you use in the Hospitalization % (Total Infections) parameter.

I hope this helps,

Lynne