X-Y Data disappears when added to map

Jump to solution
12-09-2014 03:08 PM
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm having trouble adding X-Y data to my map.  I exported data that shows perfectly to geocode some points that ArcGIS didn't geocode; when I pull the data back in and add it to the map it does not show with the rest of my data.  Is there some parameter that I am missing?  Has anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Thanks to all that replied - the problem was that the coordinate system was not specified correctly when adding the X-Y data.  I deleted the layer and added again, making sure to match the coordinate system of the other layers, and the data showed up perfectly.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you should only add the data that was successfully geocodes to the map and make a separate file out of the ones that didnt and try to re-geocode those separately

LauraMiller
New Contributor III

So do you think it's because the points are duplicated?  The ones that were successfully geocoded show up perfectly.

0 Kudos
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

The ones that ArcGIS did not geocode I exported and geocoded at TAMU geoservices.  Then I tried to put them back in to the map and it reports that it has been added.  When I zoom to those points, they look like they should (vague shape of the U.S.) but I can't see the StreetMap background or my previously added points.  It's almost like they are going in in a different scale or something.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What XY units are assigned to your data?  Are any of the empty?  To me it sounds like your map is zooming out to a full extent that covers everything; including those that are in error.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

They are in latitude and longitude.  The substitute geocoding is not exact - here is a point with first method and second method:

1.     33.100407, -86.863074

2.     33.100411, -86.863049

Using only the original data, my map has scale of 1:5,337,588

Using the added data and zooming to extent, I get 1:1,155

But the added data does NOT show the background or other layers.  I feel that I am missing something completely obvious.

Oh, and there are no observations with missing data.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

And when you add the XY data as shown, your telling ArcMap what units they are, correct?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

I will double check.  I believe I said to use the map units, and that the X and Y are longitude and latitude.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What are the extents when you examine the properties of the file?  (right-click on the layer, go to Properties then examine the tabs there until you see the extent properties)

0 Kudos
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Extent seems all wrong.

Top: 79.2926 m

Left: -165.1972 m

Right: 145.7567 m

Bottom: 0.00000 m

0 Kudos