When will the AuthaGraph projection be supported by ArcGIS?

10-14-2019 11:10 AM
emmornile1
Occasional Contributor II

It would be nice to be able to use the AuthaGraph projection (AuthaGraph projection - Wikipedia) in ArcGIS. Is adding this in the production plan?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColinKelly
Esri Contributor

emmor nile‌ This would be a perfect question to post in the Ideas section of GeoNet rather than simply asking the question generically as the coordinate system is not yet implemented. Posting this to the Ideas page would allow others to upvote the idea to help it gain traction for the Development team to see and potentially implement it in a future version of the software.

0 Kudos
emmornile1

Thanks, I have to say that the whole esri community site is baffling to navigate. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Probably never as the AuthaGraph, while significantly more accurate for projecting size and shape, would be very difficult to make useful in a GIS environment.   It cannot even be used for navigation. And I could not imagine making it work with modern GPS.

It is neat, it is revolutionary, it is art.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Emmor,

There are no equations available for it publicly, and I suspect that there could be copyright, trademark, or patent issues. 

It's sphere-based only which is not ideal and there are some significant shape distortions in certain areas (Brazil and Australia). 

Melita

emmornile1

Thanks Melita, good to hear from you again. I agree with the distortions you mention, but the ability to tessellate seems handy. Obviously it wouldn't work for navigation or as a mobile basemap, but for illustrations this view of the world could tell a good story. Too bad if the equations aren't made public.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Could you detail how it would be handy?

Maybe for students or people with a GISP and to get peoples attention.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay, so we don't let you actually tessellate because of data duplication, but the Peirce Quincuncial can be tessellated. It was added in 10.7 / Pro 2.3 or 2.4. Upcoming in 10.8 and Pro 2.5 is Adams in a Square II, which can also be tessellated.

Melita