What type of coordinate is this?

Jump to solution
01-21-2015 10:09 AM
CalebPitman
New Contributor

=> 1298576.373 (easting)

=> 1594810.686 (northing)

It should be in British Columbia somewhere. Central BC latitude and longitude is "54.957922, -124.797833".

I tried UTM with zone 10, but it ended up in the ocean. For it to be UTM it would need to be 400,000 x and 6,000,000 y.

Any ideas what this is? Anyone have programming functions to convert it to lat/lon? PHP? Java? JS?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Caleb,

Considering that this a forum sponsored by ESRI :

Option 1 - Create a feature class in ArcGIS with coordinate system set correctly then add point via x,y values. Set layer to display DMS and read from bottom right of screen.

Option 2 - QGIS - Load your dataset with BC Albers then select the CRS status button (funky looking button on bottom right of screen on my QGIS 2.4) and change coordinate system to WGS84 and red coordinates at bootom of screen.

Option 3 - If only a few points, perhaps try one of the websites found in your favorite search engine looking for 'coordinate conversion tool' Coordinates transformation - cs2cs online looked promising to me.

Hope this helps

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Does BC not have an Albers projection that is regularly use?  you might want to examine the National Grids, Canada section of the projections files...better still, locate the metadata and/or the person that produced the file...they are to blame

0 Kudos
CalebPitman
New Contributor

I'm looking at: ftp://ftp.bcogc.ca/outgoing/OGC_Data/Water/

awcc_bc.shp      file set

I figured it out with QGIS. The CRS says "NAD83 / BC Albers". My question now is how to convert that to lat/lon that works on Google Maps. All the articles on Google say to set the CRS as WGS84, then save it, but it doesn't change the coordinates. I've also tried adding new attribute columns using Geometry > $x with the new CRS but it always shows the original coordinate.

Any ideas there?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Project (Data Management)

ArcGIS 10

Summary

Projects spatial data from one coordinate system to another.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Caleb,

Considering that this a forum sponsored by ESRI :

Option 1 - Create a feature class in ArcGIS with coordinate system set correctly then add point via x,y values. Set layer to display DMS and read from bottom right of screen.

Option 2 - QGIS - Load your dataset with BC Albers then select the CRS status button (funky looking button on bottom right of screen on my QGIS 2.4) and change coordinate system to WGS84 and red coordinates at bootom of screen.

Option 3 - If only a few points, perhaps try one of the websites found in your favorite search engine looking for 'coordinate conversion tool' Coordinates transformation - cs2cs online looked promising to me.

Hope this helps

Tom

0 Kudos