What is M-Resolution?

Jump to solution
06-29-2015 12:09 PM
Labels (1)
TimJohnston4
New Contributor II

What is M-Resolution and what affect does this setting have on M Values?  Everything I read says "M-Resolution should be the M-Tolerance divided by 10".  Is the M-Resolution the number of M-Values between the minimum M value and the next (i.e. Implies using BASE10)?  Maybe it means that if you have a long mile then it can insert an additional 10 M values between each existing M?

I understand M-Tolerance to be:  If x and y coordinates are coincident and their m-values are within the M-Tolerance range then their M-values should be set equal to one another.

Typical M Resolution and Tolerance Settings:

MResolution =  0.0001

MTolerance = 0.001

An explanation of M-Resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It corresponds to xy and z resolution values and is the minimum distance apart that two measure values can be. So if you have a measure value of 5.0001, you could have another value at 5.0002, but not at 5.00015.

Because measures can be used for many different types of data, we just used the same default values that we use for the xy resolution and tolerance, which are based on using meters.

Melita

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

It corresponds to xy and z resolution values and is the minimum distance apart that two measure values can be. So if you have a measure value of 5.0001, you could have another value at 5.0002, but not at 5.00015.

Because measures can be used for many different types of data, we just used the same default values that we use for the xy resolution and tolerance, which are based on using meters.

Melita