unprojected CAD

03-15-2016 10:27 AM
StephenKruzik
New Contributor III

I convert a microstation dgn to geodatabase.  The original is completely unprojected so there is no spatial component whatsoever.  I'm trying to use spatial adjust to lay it down over top of the true location, but it fails every time I hit "adjust".  I read where you need to convert to shapefile first, so the adjustment and then re-import into the geodatabase (29769 - Spatial Adjustment does not work on geodatabase feature class. ).  [note this hasn't been updated since 2011. Did ESRI ever do anything about it?]

The problem with this is that I can't carry over the annotation which is the most time-consuming piece if done manually.  I know it says about creating a geodatabase with a large enough extent to encompass everything, but every export and change I make to try and up the extent still results in the same.  I'm not sure if I'm doing the extent changes wrong, or what else could be causing it.  I've tried creating the feature dataset with ridiculously high extents; and I also tried setting the environment output when converting from CAD to be really high; but neither is giving results. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Generally speaking cad files are drawn to scale.  If yours is drawn scale you can use a two control points to create a world file so the dgn may be overlayed -- thus possibly giving you the opportunity to extract the annotations.  If it is not drawn to scale then you may be out of luck 

About georeferencing CAD datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sometimes ArcMap is buggy with dgn files. Can you convert your dgn into a dwg in MicroStation and then try adjusting it?

Or better yet, make the CAD operator adjust the dgn file spatially in MicroStation, then it will hopefully come in properly (fat chance of that happening...)

0 Kudos
StephenKruzik
New Contributor III

thanks.  I'm definitely not getting the data from the microstation folks. (there's a reason they're still using microstation).

I've tried adding just control points, but alas, ArcGIS crashes as soon as I try and lay down the first georeference point.  I'm thinking I may have to take this further up the chain if that's going to be the solution.  Thanks for the quick responses and ideas though.  It's really appreciated.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What version of ArcGIS are you running? And have you installed any service packs? I recall that in 10.2.1 (or somewhere around there) I had lots of crashing issues dealing with CAD data. It might be worth upgrading ArcGIS to see if that helps (plus I believe later versions of ArcGIS handle dgn files better as well).

0 Kudos
StephenKruzik
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Would you consider upgrading to 10.4? I really am unsure if this would alleviate any issues but maybe worth looking into? (...tough call though...)

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

If all else fails one last ditch effort you could use or try is to create a Tif/JPG image of the microstation drawing and geo reference that and use the world file created for the image for the cad.  (This is my last resort trick.... sometimes this works)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Moving to Managing Data

here is the forum structure GeoNet Community Structure

0 Kudos