The Night Sky: Making a Star Chart with ArcGIS Pro

08-10-2018 07:01 AM
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
1 1 1,876

I discovered this amazing, well I think it is amazing, find recently and though to share how you can create a beautiful star chat using ArcGIS Pro. This StoryMap is made by Heather Smith you can find more information on the map at the bottom of the page.

I will let Heather introduce the map herself (extracted from the StoryMap):

Haven't you always wanted to make a star chart? You've seen so many beautiful maps of the night sky, and if you're anything like me, you look at them and think "I wish I made that."

But how? You know how to map things on the earth, but what about things in the sky? The good news is that with just a little tweaking, you can use GIS to map the stars.

In this blog you'll learn a little bit about celestial mapping and also some cartography skills in ArcGIS Pro. We will cover projection, symbology, labeling, annotation, masking, and layout.

>>> See the StoryMap now <<<

Map and tutorial by Heather Smith, Esri

Zoomable version of the map can be viewed here:  http://www.heathergabrielsmith.ca/maps/html/starchart.html

Data provided by Peter Girard

Tags (2)
1 Comment
About the Author
Geologist, Geospatial Expert and TAP Certified GIS Trainer working as an Independant Consultant. I have special interests in Geology, Exploration, Coordinate Reference Systems, Geodesy and Natural Science.