Shape file Projection problems

Jump to solution
10-14-2014 07:15 PM
NeilBombardier
New Contributor

Afternoon everyone,

I have 2 shape files which are not aligning correctly, despite having used the Project tool to reprojected both the projected coordinate systems and the geographic coordinate systems. Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong. Thanks

File one

Projected Coordinate System:    AGD66_AMG_zone_54

Projection:    Transverse_Mercator

false_easting:    500000.00000000

false_northing:    10000000.00000000

central_meridian:    141.00000000

scale_factor:    0.99960000

latitude_of_origin:    0.00000000

Linear Unit:     Meter

Geographic Coordinate System:    GCS_Australian_1966

Datum:     D_Australian_1966

Prime Meridian:     Greenwich

Angular Unit:     Degree

File two

Projected Coordinate System:    AGD66_AMG_zone_54

Projection:    Transverse_Mercator

false_easting:    500000.00000000

false_northing:    10000000.00000000

central_meridian:    141.00000000

scale_factor:    0.99960000

latitude_of_origin:    0.00000000

Linear Unit:     Meter

Geographic Coordinate System:    GCS_Australian_1966

Datum:     D_Australian_1966

Prime Meridian:     Greenwich

Angular Unit:     Degree

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

It appears that you have projected both files to the same coordinate system (AMG Zone 54 with the AGD66 datum). The issue may be the input data sets.

Did the input data sets share the same coordinate system (including datum)?

If they had different coordinate systems then one of the datum transformations when projecting may be the issue. If the input data did have the same coordinate system and you applied the same projection parameters then they should line up.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenEarley

It appears that you have projected both files to the same coordinate system (AMG Zone 54 with the AGD66 datum). The issue may be the input data sets.

Did the input data sets share the same coordinate system (including datum)?

If they had different coordinate systems then one of the datum transformations when projecting may be the issue. If the input data did have the same coordinate system and you applied the same projection parameters then they should line up.

NeilBombardier
New Contributor

How do I check the input data sets coordinate systems - I'm a relatively novice user

0 Kudos
OwenEarley

Add one of the input data sets to ArcMap and then right-click on it in the layers list, select Properties and then click on the Source tab:

layer-props-source.png

This will show the coordinate system of your input data. Do this for both inputs and see if they are the same.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Neil,

Step back to the original data with their original coordinate systems. If you can't get them to overlay properly, check if you can get either one to line up with some reference data that you know is correct. That should tell you which one doesn't have its correct coordinate system. For that one, please post its extent, plus the general location that it represents.

Melita

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

As Owen alludes to, make sure your data is first defined correctly (according to the original data) and then projected properly, if necessary. See this Knowledge Base article:

When do I define a projection, and when do I project data?