Projection Failure

05-16-2016 01:52 AM
AlessandroSinglitico
New Contributor II

I'm having big problems with arctoolbox of ArcMap 10.3.1 to project almost all my layers from TM65 - Irish Grid to IRENET95 - Irish Tranverse Mercator.I always get the error 000151 and the Help is not very helpful. It looks like I can't choose the Geographic Transformation so "New Geographic Transformation" is the selected one.

Any idea??

You can try with "All Ireland" dataset here http://gis.teagasc.ie/soils/downloads.php.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

don't they both use the same spheroid? or are these the wrong EPSG numbers?

PROJCS["IRENET95 / Irish Transverse Mercator",

GEOGCS["IRENET95",

DATUM["IRENET95",

SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,

AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],

PROJCS["IRENET95 / UTM zone 29N",

GEOGCS["IRENET95",

DATUM["IRENET95",

SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,

AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],

TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],

AUTHORITY["EPSG","6173"]],

0 Kudos
AlessandroSinglitico
New Contributor II

Hello Dan,

It seems like they use different spheroids:

TM65-IG: TM65 / Irish Grid - Ireland - EPSG:29902
IRENET95-ITM: IRENET95 / Irish Transverse Mercator - EPSG:2157

Alessandro

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you set a transformation in ArcMap? You can add the TM65 data to ArcMap, then set the data frame's coordinate system to 2157. Click the Transformations button to set a transformation. (take the first one) At that point you can right click the layer and select data, export data (use the data frame's coordinate system). Also, once the data frame's transformation is set, the Project Tool may pick it up automagically.

Melita

AlessandroSinglitico
New Contributor II

Hi Melita,

Somehow it worked. I didn't have the the parameters to set the geographic transformation (e.g. X Y Z axis translation in case of a Geogentric Translation) so I left all the requested parameters to 0 and created this dummy transformation "IGtoITM".
It happened that when I exported the map it was virtually converted to my new coordinate system but practically nothing changed but the name of the Coordinate System in the properties.

BUT creating this new dummy transformation I had back the ability to choose between the Geographic Transformations in the Projections tool, so I converted my original map choosing one of the default geographic transformation and it actually worked out with no pain.

Might have been a bug or something strictly related to my settings?

Thanks! It's been very helpful!

Alessandro

0 Kudos