importing x y coordinates

Jump to solution
08-18-2018 03:53 PM
deleted-user-q-lEfy9R6GTz
New Contributor

I add an excel spreadsheet with x y coordinates, and it successfully imported.  The problem is it hasn't set to the exact location on my map.  In fact I suspect the projection is off because it appears to be in a white no-mans-land with a white background.  My map uses an imported online esri basemap.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

Did you set the coordinate reference system, that matches the coordinates in the Excel spreadsheet, to the data frame of your map before adding the coordinates?

If not you could be adding planar units to a Geographic CRS etc...or many other things...

As Dan Patterson‌ says provide a sample so we can work the problem

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Show some of the coordinates.

Use the Excel to Table tool to create a featureclass table 

Add that table as an event layer, then save it as a geodatabase featureclass and make sure you define its coordinate system correctly.

And as a tip... don't add a basemap first, add your data to an empty dataframe (if using arcmap) or map (ArcGIS pro)

basemaps can be added after

New Contributor

Thank you, the Help tool I read not-so-carefully did not include the process, so this is really helpful! If I can’t get it done from here, I’ll provide some of the data. I’ve also asked the supplier to provide CRS in which the coordinates were exported.

I appreciate the response.

0 Kudos
SimonKettle

Did you set the coordinate reference system, that matches the coordinates in the Excel spreadsheet, to the data frame of your map before adding the coordinates?

If not you could be adding planar units to a Geographic CRS etc...or many other things...

As Dan Patterson‌ says provide a sample so we can work the problem

New Contributor

Thank you, Simon. I was actually thinking that the spreadsheet might have a crs associated with it, so I’ve emailed the person who provided the data to ask them. I’ll go from there.

0 Kudos
SimonKettle