I am trying to plot two points in MGRS for Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as I can tell I need to set my data frame to NAD 83 UTM Zone 17S.I cannot find Zone 17S in the Data Frame Properties Coordinate System choices. Any suggestions? Help does not help. Thx

07-06-2015 02:53 PM
SueBoelk
New Contributor

I am trying to plot two points in MGRS for Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as I can tell I need to set my data frame to NAD 83 UTM Zone 17S.I  cannot find Zone 17S in the Data Frame Properties Coordinate System choices. Any suggestions? I tried ArcGIS Help, but it does not help. We do not have any of the specialized extensions, so I need a simple fix. Thx

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I don't see how you could have a projection of NAD 83 UTM Zone 17S. UTM Zone 17S would be in the southern hemisphere, which would not be using the NAD 83 Datum.  You sure it wouldn't be UTM Zone 17N? 

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

"17S" is ambiguous, because it can mean both "zone 17, latitude band S" and "zone 17, southern hemisphere", both of which are correct. AFAIK, ArcGIS only ever uses the hemisphere designation (N or S), so, as Ian says, look for Zone 17 N.