How to i find percentage of polygon areas in Land cover map

04-11-2016 06:51 AM
Kofi_Lartey
New Contributor III

I have prepared a land cover map, converted to a polygon and merged individual polygons in the various classes forming 10 classes. Now i want to find the percentage of each of the polygons. I used the statistics tool in Analysis, Arctool box to sum up the polygons but cannot join it to the main table because the objectID does not have any corresponding value in the main table. I am sure this is a simple thing, but somehow i am stack. I will welcome your suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Some things don't need to be done completely in ArcMap, just take your table with the areas for each class, then divide by the total area... in a spreadsheet or with a calculator... the time taken to do this cannot be rivaled by an automatic solution.

Kofi_Lartey
New Contributor III

@Dan you are right, but sometimes one is not sure what he may be missing.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If you want to join the total area back to the individual polygons, you can add a new dummy field to each table and join on that. Or, rather than Summary Statistics, use Dissolve to combine your polygons to get the total area, then Spatial Join back to individual polygons. If that's not what you're after, please elaborate.

0 Kudos