Geostationary projection?

07-12-2017 01:38 PM
LevNagdimunov
New Contributor II

The PROJ4 library supports a Geostationary Satellite View projection. Does Arcgis have any support for this coordinate system, or a way to add support for it?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If this is the same, the documentation is here.... the information and parameters can be downloaded in a variety of formats (ie *.prj files etc)

0 Kudos
LevNagdimunov
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response.

The information can be downloaded, including in an ESRI prj file, however upon import (into 10.5.1) it will say failed to get coordinate system, file is corrupt. There is no geostationary projection name/type that I can find when manually creating it a projection in Arcgis, and it does not seem to recognize it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too off world for me  ... MKennedy-esristaff‌ may know what to do to alter the prj file so it is acceptable.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I was wondering about that, except geostationary was specified and this refers to the .... sensing range of an orbiting mapping satellite...

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Spatial oblique Mercator is only available in ArcInfo Workstation. So far it hasn't been ported to the projection engine, which would make it available in Desktop/Server/Pro/etc.

levnagdimunov0‌  Unfortunately, we do not yet support the geostationary satellite view projection. It's actually been a few years since anyone asked for it or even the space oblique Mercator.

Melita

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given ArcInfo Workstation has been completely retired for 18+ months, why still include it in the documentation online for 10.3+?  Sure, there is a note toward the bottom of the page, but it seems a bit odd to just leave it around as documentation cruft.

What about The_World_From_Space, WKID 102038? 

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Very good point. Of course, the release after I take it out, our projections developer will decide to implement it, and I'll have to put it in again! 

re: ArcView GIS's "world from space". We very, very rarely get rid of anything out of the projection engine.

BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

We added support for the geostationary satellite projection in ArcGIS 10.6 and ArcPro 2.1.