error 000151 Geotransformation is not valid

03-19-2020 03:21 AM
ghadaSahbeni
New Contributor

Dear ESRICommunity, I need someone's help ASAP please. I am trying to reproject a shapefile that it is initially projected GCS_Hungarian_1972 to WGS84_UTM_zone_34N but arcmap is giving me an error ' error 000151 Geotransformation is not valid' .  Many thanks))

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Check the geometry of your input and repair if necessary. Check the transformation is being populated with hungarian1972 to wgs84, also check the environments output coordinate system and processing extent, as ArcMap loves to randomly add a transformation. 

0 Kudos
ghadaSahbeni
New Contributor

Thanks David)) I will try that, the problem also whenever I try to calculate Longitude and Latitude of some points in the shp file it is giving wrong results!! 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can you provide and example of 'wrong' and by how much? If all the data are indeed in decimal degrees there is little a transformation can do to make the answers wrong by a significant amount.

0 Kudos
ghadaSahbeni
New Contributor

For instance when I opened the attributes table there was no coordinates, so I tried to calculate the Longitude and the Latitude using geometry calculator and this is what it gave, which is abnormal!!!Long&Lat

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They may have been 'defined' wrong. and may not actually be in decimal degrees

They look like Web Mercator. 

To find out what is going on...

Is your map coordinate system defined as being in decimal degrees? perhaps a GCS WGS84?

Did you calculate the values in the native units or in the coordinate system of the map?

Skip the field calculator and use one of the following

Add Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

and don't leave this optional, specify your data's coordinate system to make sure it is indeed in decimal degrees.

Coordinate_System
(Optional)

The coordinate system in which the coordinates, length, and area will be calculated. The coordinate system of the input features is used by default.

and be careful using this

Calculate Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

coordinate_system
(Optional)

The coordinate system in which the coordinates, length, and area will be calculated. The coordinate system of the input features is used by default.

For coordinate-based geometry properties, the coordinate system will only be applied when the coordinate format is the same as input; otherwise, the geographic coordinate system WGS_1984 will be used

The field calculator can be dangerous unless you know what the output units will be.  

0 Kudos